SR&RL #5 and #6

  • Scot Lawrence
    Message 1 of 10 , Jun 2, 2004
      Can anyone tell me if SR&RL #5 and #6 were visually identical?
      I have plans for #5, but would like to build a model of #6!
      (SRRL #6 also being SRRR #5, KCRR#4, WW&F#9)
      obviousally specific details would have changed over the years, and
      the 2 engines would have never been *totally* identical..
      but, as built, were they built to identical specs?
      could plans for one pass for plans for the other?
      thanks,
      Scot
    • James C. & Laurel A. Patten
      Message 2 of 10 , Jun 2, 2004
        Plans for SR&RL #6/WW&F #9 exist in the Portland Company Archives at the
        Maine Historical Society in Portland. We've got some of them, from when
        we started looking seriously at restoring the engine. Thanks to David
        Fletcher, all of the Maine two-footer drawings (and quite possibly EVERY
        drawing by the Portland Company) was sorted, categorized, and filed.
        We've got a booklet with the drawings listed.

        James Patten
        WW&F Railway Museum

        Scot Lawrence wrote:

        >Can anyone tell me if SR&RL #5 and #6 were visually identical?
        >I have plans for #5, but would like to build a model of #6!
        >(SRRL #6 also being SRRR #5, KCRR#4, WW&F#9)
        >obviousally specific details would have changed over the years, and
        >the 2 engines would have never been *totally* identical..
        >but, as built, were they built to identical specs?
        >could plans for one pass for plans for the other?
        >thanks,
        >Scot
        >

        >Yahoo! Groups Links

      • Libby, Rob
        Message 3 of 10 , Jun 3, 2004
          James,
          Do you have a listing for the drawings for Bridgton Saco River
          Engines? Does the Historical Society make copies for people?

          thanks

          Rob Libby

          Hazelett Strip-Casting
          135 West Lakeshore Drive
          Colchester, VT 05446
          802-863-6376
          www.hazelett.com

          Scot Lawrence wrote:

          >Can anyone tell me if SR&RL #5 and #6 were visually identical? I have
          >plans for #5, but would like to build a model of #6! (SRRL #6 also
          >being SRRR #5, KCRR#4, WW&F#9) obviousally specific details would have
          >changed over the years, and the 2 engines would have never been
          >*totally* identical.. but, as built, were they built to identical
          >specs? could plans for one pass for plans for the other?
          >thanks,
          >Scot
          >

          >Yahoo! Groups Links

          Yahoo! Groups Links
        • James C. & Laurel A. Patten
          Message 4 of 10 , Jun 3, 2004
            Rob,

            I'll get the listing when I next go over there, probably tomorrow afternoon.

            The Historical Society does make copies, but you must pay for them.  As you can imagine, the drawings are substantial in size.

            James P.

            http://us.click.yahoo.com/Z1wmxD/DREIAA/yQLSAA/EaCslB/TM

                 http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

          • cgchisholm@aol.com
            Message 5 of 10 , Jun 3, 2004
              Underground Railway Press sells plans, including the John Derr Two Foot Gauge
              plans.
              They advertise in Model RR magazines.
              Colin Chisholm
            • Libby, Rob
              Message 6 of 10 , Jun 4, 2004
                Message
                James,
                    thank you so much. I thought I would have to pay but if the drawings will give me the detail I am looking for then it would be worth it. I am looking for info on the early engines, Engine 1, 2 and 3, I have some of the plans fomr Underground Railway Press but I think the information given is not that great.

                Thanks again.

                Rob Libby

                Hazelett Strip-Casting
                135 West Lakeshore Drive
                Colchester, VT 05446
                802-863-6376
                www.hazelett.com

                Message 7 of 10 , Jun 4, 2004
                  Rob, Scot

                  Having compared the standard "hobby" plans for these
                  engines to actual works drawings, there is a lot of
                  error and mis-dimension, and omissions. Since the
                  model plans were done for HO and O scales, they didn't
                  need to be as accurate.

                  Copies of the Portland works drawings will be best if
                  you can get them. Even #9 at Alna is not totally
                  accurate, after having been through numerous
                  rebuildings, wrecks and owners. A lot can happen in
                  112 years!

                  There were also plans published in Live Steam some
                  years ago in a larger format. I have sections of
                  these plans, and they were for SR&RL #6.

                  I have some of the individual engine components done
                  up on CAD for 7/8" scale, if that would be of any help
                  to you. I also have patterns for casting the domes,
                  and will soon have drivers.

                  Contact me off list about any of these items.

                  Steve King

                  http://messenger.yahoo.com/
                • James C. & Laurel A. Patten
                  Message 8 of 10 , Jun 5, 2004
                    OK I have the booklet with the Portland Company drawings information in
                    my hot little hands.

                    SRRR #4's construction number was 616. SRRR #5's construction number
                    was 622.

                    Looking over the list of drawings (there's probably about 100 of them),
                    it appears 622 used most or all of the drawings that 616 did. I only
                    did a spot check, not a detailed comparison, but what I saw indicates
                    that this is the case. So it's fair to say that they looked identical.

                    616 was constucted at the same time as 615 (P&R #1), and these two were
                    built to identical or close to identical plans.

                    I think most of the two-footer engines Portland built were to the same
                    specs. Portland Company purchased the two-foot gauge engine plans from
                    Hinkley Locomotive Works, and some of the drawings are actually Hinkley
                    drawings.

                    Let me know what kind of drawing you're looking for back channel and
                    I'll tell you the file and drawing #.

                    James P.
                  • cgchisholm@aol.com
                    Message 9 of 10 , Jun 5, 2004
                      I thought the cab roofs were different.
                      Colin Chisholm
                    • Scot Lawrence
                      Message 10 of 10 , Jun 6, 2004
                        thanks for all the info everyone!
                        good stuff..
                        I think I will go ahead and use the drawing for #5 as my quide, and
                        then just use the correct details for #6..

                        (since its confusing keeping which engine straight when talking
                        about #5 and #6 (because SRRL #6 was originally SRRR #5!)
                        im now going to refer to the engines as "SRRL #5" and "#5,6,4,9"! ;)

                        After I posted this question, I got a new maine book!
                        "Two feet to Togus"
                        That book contains a drawing of KCRR#4! (which is #5,6,4,9)
                        (and I just noticed that drawing is lettered for KCRR #4 on the side
                        view, but the front view has #6 on the number plate!)

                        So I have 2 drawings, #5,6,4,9 from the "Two feet to togus book"
                        and SRRL #5 by John T. Deer.

                        the 2 drawings show the locomotives have slight dimensional
                        differences:

                        driver wheelbase
                        #5,6,4,9 - 53"
                        SRRL5 - 52"
                        (both have 33" drivers)

                        total wheelbase
                        #5,6,4,9 - 16' 2"
                        SRRL5 - 15' 8"

                        overall length
                        #5,6,4,9 - 25' 6"
                        SRRL5 - 26' 3"

                        height to top of stack
                        #5,6,4,9 - 9' 9"
                        SRRL5 - 9' 11.25"

                        boiler diameter
                        #5,6,4,9 - 3' 2"
                        SRRL5 - 3' 4.5"

                        those are some of the major points..
                        there any many other slight differences, and also many similarities!
                        the differences are very slight, but they are there..
                        there wasnt direct measurements on either drawing for overall width
                        of the locomotive at the cab, but doing my own measurements i got:
                        #5,6,4,9 - 71" (approx)
                        SRRL5 - 76" (approx)

                        so the answer is..very close! but not identical..
                        Scot