Re: [MaineTwoFooters or lack thereof

  • red_gate_rover
    Message 1 of 28 , Jul 31 9:10 AM
      --- In MaineTwoFooters@yahoogroups.com, m2fq@a... wrote:
      > All,
      >
      > Since I see little discussion of anything Maine 2-foot

      OK, I'll take the bait, Gary. Gents, it seems to me that despite the
      amazing things happening with the real 2-footers in Maine, despite
      the tremendous growth in products, especially in HO scale, but even
      in S, O, and 7/8th inch scales, despite the availabilty of a magazine
      dedicated to Maine two-footers and several well done historical
      newsletters, plus a regular dose of Maine two-footer articles in RMC,
      Fine Scale Modeler, and even Garden Railroading we are seeing a an
      outflow of folks modeling Maine two-footers and almost no one new
      entering? Musings and constructive ideas welcomed. -Jim
    • James C Patten
      Message 2 of 28 , Aug 1, 2003
        Michael Lumert wrote:

        >And, while we are talking KC, anything interesting going on with #4 (WW&F #9) these days?

        WW&F #9 is undergoing fundraising for restoration. Currently we have
        nearly $51,000 raised, this fall the general thought around campus is to
        pick the boiler builder and place the order. The money we have raised
        is enough to place the order. Who will it be? Good question. Our
        previous #1 pick went out of business this past spring, but we still
        have a number of leads.

        None of this will happen, of course, until #10 is complete. As it
        stands, #10 will hopefully be operating again in late fall. Right now
        we are working on milling out driving axle boxes to accept the brasses
        that need to go in. This is what is holding up the project, but one can
        only work so fast on it. Hopefully, HOPEFULLY, these will be done by
        the end of August, and then things can really start to move.

        James P.
        WW&F
      • stephen king
        Message 3 of 28 , Aug 1, 2003
          --- James C Patten <jcpatten@...>
          wrote:
          > WW&F #9 is undergoing fundraising for restoration.
          > Currently we have
          > nearly $51,000 raised, this fall the general thought
          > around campus is to
          > pick the boiler builder and place the order. The
          > money we have raised
          > is enough to place the order. Who will it be? Good
          > question. Our
          > previous #1 pick went out of business this past
          > spring, but we still
          > have a number of leads.
          //clip//

          James,

          Just a question from my relatively uninformed brain...
          Is there any possibility of getting boiler work done
          in the UK? Where does Ffestinog and other Welsh
          railways get their boilers? Whomever it is seems to
          know what they are doing. I been reading the web
          pages on the K1 Garret rebuild and that new boiler is
          a beauty. It might be worth spending some extra $$
          for an import from a firm well qualified in locomotive
          boilers. What is the expected life of the new
          boiler... 30 or 50 years? 75? This is being done for
          the next generation so it is worth doing right IMO.

          Also I am sure I speak for at least a few, that when
          boiler plans become firm, we are ready to pony up some
          more cash for the restoration.

          Cheers,

          Steve King

          http://sitebuilder.yahoo.com
        • lwday@adelphia.net
          Message 4 of 28 , Aug 1, 2003

            > From: m2fq@...
            > Date: 2003/07/31 Thu AM 09:53:19 EDT
            > To: MaineTwoFooters@yahoogroups.com
            > Subject: [MaineTwoFooters] Re: [MaineTwoFooters or lack thereof
            >
            > All,
            >
            > Since I see little discussion of anything Maine 2-foot related on this list,
            > I wonder if there are any on this list that are interested in Maine 2-foot???
            >
            > After all, the name of the list is Maine Two Footers. Or am I missing
            > something?
            >
            > Just curious as to why there's little or discussion of the titled subject.
            >
            > Gary Kohler
            > M2FQ Publications
            > PO Box 133
            > Washingtonville, OH 44490-0133
            > (330) 702-0117
            > <A HREF="www.lightirondigest.com">www.lightirondigest.com</A>
            > <A HREF="www.maine2footquarterly.com">www.maine2footquarterly.com</A>

            I'm too busy having fun at camp to have time to play with trains, BUT wait until the first frost and we'll be back to my 12 x 16 heated train shed playing with da'trains! (SRRL in goofy 3' gauge)
            Lloyd
          • Wes Ewell
            Message 5 of 28 , Aug 1, 2003
              The last couple of years the Kennebec River was running pretty low by mid-summer and remains of a timber retaining wall were clearly visible at Randolph in the area where the enginehouse used to sit.  These were substantial logs, alternating layers laid horizontally along the bank with perpendicular horizontal layers that went into the bank, as I recall.  I'll be in that area next week and will see if I can get some photos.  -Wes
            • James C Patten
              Message 6 of 28 , Aug 1, 2003
                stephen king wrote:

                >Just a question from my relatively uninformed brain...
                >Is there any possibility of getting boiler work done
                >in the UK? Where does Ffestinog and other Welsh
                >railways get their boilers? Whomever it is seems to
                >know what they are doing. I been reading the web
                >pages on the K1 Garret rebuild and that new boiler is
                >a beauty. It might be worth spending some extra $$
                >for an import from a firm well qualified in locomotive
                >boilers. What is the expected life of the new
                >boiler... 30 or 50 years? 75? This is being done for
                >the next generation so it is worth doing right IMO.

                There's always a possibility of getting the boiler built in the UK. My
                understanding is that the Ffestiniog does everything in-house: boiler,
                frame, everything. The only caveat (I think) is that whatever firm does
                it must have an "R" stamp here in the US. However, I wouldn't be
                surprised if the cost of shipping the boiler equals or exceeds that of
                building it.

                James P.
              • p2c3689@aol.com
                Message 7 of 28 , Aug 1, 2003
                  In a message dated 8/1/2003 12:46:48 PM Eastern Daylight Time, jcpatten@... writes:

                  > However, I wouldn't be
                  > surprised if the cost of shipping the boiler equals or
                  > exceeds that of
                  > building it.
                  >
                  > James P.

                  I highly doubt that. Datong Locomotive Works over there in China until recently advertised in R.R. publications that they'd send a brand SY-class Mikado to a U.S. west coast port for $380,000 (that included both construction and shipping costs). Granted, those locomotive was built in China, but still.. I think at most it would cost half the construction cost to have it shipped.

                  The most logical thing would just be to have Dillon build the boiler. They built the boiler on 10 and the other four engines at MNG and they seem to be fine after 40 years of use.

                  Trevor H.
                • stephen king
                  Message 8 of 28 , Aug 1, 2003

                    > There's always a possibility of getting the boiler
                    > built in the UK. My
                    > understanding is that the Ffestiniog does everything
                    > in-house: boiler,
                    > frame, everything. The only caveat (I think) is
                    > that whatever firm does
                    > it must have an "R" stamp here in the US. However,
                    > I wouldn't be
                    > surprised if the cost of shipping the boiler equals
                    > or exceeds that of
                    > building it.
                    //clip//

                    Hello again, James, guys...

                    Since not much two-foot is being discussed here
                    lately, this a as true a two-foot subject as any...

                    Actually the K1 boiler for the Welsh Highland Ry was
                    built by Isreal Newton & Sons of Bradford, UK. It
                    doesn't appear that Boston Lodge does their own
                    boilers. Check the WHR web pages, there are lots of
                    pics of the boiler construction and testing. You will
                    also find that the K1 project had a lot of outside
                    vendors, and many are mentioned in the text.

                    As for shipping..I can't imagine it would be that
                    prohibitive...#9's boiler would probably fit in a
                    standard shipping container. All's you would have to
                    do is consign it to Wal-mart and it would get a great
                    shipping rate ;) Seriously tho, if they can bring all
                    this junk in from the far East for next to nothing I
                    can't imagine shipping costs being anywhere near the
                    cost of the boiler. The code stamp is another matter
                    that I know nothing about.

                    Sorry I don't have the WHR links, but just search
                    under "Welsh Highland Railway"

                    Steve King

                    http://sitebuilder.yahoo.com
                  • Arno Martens
                    Message 9 of 28 , Aug 1, 2003
                      Fri, 01 Aug 2003 12:56:12 -0400, p2c3689@..., wrote:

                      >In a message dated 8/1/2003 12:46:48 PM Eastern Daylight Time, jcpatten@... writes:
                      >
                      >> However, I wouldn't be
                      >> surprised if the cost of shipping the boiler equals or
                      >> exceeds that of
                      >> building it.
                      >>
                      >> James P.
                      >
                      >I highly doubt that. Datong Locomotive Works over there in China until recently advertised in R.R. publications that they'd send a brand SY-class Mikado to a U.S. west coast port for $380,000 (that included both construction and shipping costs). Granted, those locomotive was built in China, but still.. I think at most it would cost half the construction cost to have it shipped.
                      >
                      >The most logical thing would just be to have Dillon build the boiler. They built the boiler on 10 and the other four engines at MNG and they seem to be fine after 40 years of use.
                      >
                      >Trevor H.

                      Has anybody considered to contact http://www.interlok.info ?
                      The plant is in Poland and Hermann's office is in Berlin.

                      As you can see I CC'd this post to him.
                      If anyone is serious, he should make direct contact.
                      --
                      Arno
                    • John Simon
                      Message 10 of 28 , Aug 3, 2003
                        Ummm, errrr! I've just joined the ranks of Two-Foot-Foamers. Do I count?
                        Have a Round House #24 and am building a NENG Caboose kit.

                        Message 11 of 28 , Aug 3, 2003
                          --- In MaineTwoFooters@yahoogroups.com, "John Simon" <simonjr@o...>
                          wrote:
                          > Ummm, errrr! I've just joined the ranks of Two-Foot-Foamers. Do I
                          count?

                          You bet! The more the better. Since I'm looking for solutions to a
                          perceived problem, might I ask what drew you into the fold? --Jim
                        • John Simon
                          Message 12 of 28 , Aug 3, 2003
                            Well I wanted some info and was hoping that I might see some enlightened chat
                            on SR&RL etc. Nothing so far but I live in hope.
                            I'm modeling in the 15/16mm to the Foot scale out in the backyard with live
                            steam and battery/R/C steam loco's.

                            73, John de VK2XGJ
                            General Manager
                            Elk River & Cheat Mountain Railroad

                            Message 13 of 28 , Aug 4, 2003
                              > I would like to know if there are any sources for
                              > reasonably accurate
                              > rolling stock for us in this scale. Any help out
                              > there??......Earle Jones

                              //clip//

                              Hi Earle, John

                              Since you already have an investment in 1:20.3 two
                              footers I guess it's too late to consider 7/8" scale
                              (1:13.7), but either way you are in a scratchbuilding
                              situation. I think CM Models (i.e.: Channing
                              Morse)(look for ads in SitG, GR or FSRR) makes 1:20
                              custom built freight cars, but I don't know what he
                              uses for trucks as there are none in 1:20.3 that I
                              know of which depict Maine two foot trucks. On the
                              other hand in 7/8" scale 45 mm track we have 4 Maine 2
                              foot truck styles available.

                              Attached is a pic taken a couple of years ago on my
                              old elevated line of Forney #6 and caboose 101, in
                              7/8" scale.

                              Cheers,
                              Steve King
                              www.seven8n2.com

                              http://sitebuilder.yahoo.com
                            • John Simon
                              Message 14 of 28 , Aug 4, 2003
                                Hi Earle, I've only just become interested in the Two foot gauge but have been
                                running #24 for a couple of years after swapping my RH Fowler for her. Info
                                on the Maine Two footers is sparse here in Australia so I've been acquiring
                                books and data and trying to make the Bachmann coaches look a little like the
                                SR&RL ones but.....................
                                I also have an Accucraft Open cab Shay in live steam plus a Bachmann Shay and
                                just modified a little Bachmann 2-6-0 to RCS R/C and battery. I've never seen
                                the Hartford kits though have read about them in NG&SLG.

                                Message 15 of 28 , Aug 4, 2003
                                  Hi Jim, at the moment I'd like some line drawings on coaches, combines,
                                  rolling stock so that I can scratch-build and just add to my meagre data. I
                                  have the book Maine Two Footers and Two foot to the Togus. Gawd I wish
                                  they'd hurry up with that Time Machine so that I, my video and digital cameras
                                  can make some trips to the SR&RL! B-)

                                  .

                                    Message 17 of 28 , Aug 4, 2003
                                      Underground Railway Press has many 1/4" scale plans for Maine 2FT equipment.
                                      Colin Chisholm
                                    • red_gate_rover
                                      Message 18 of 28 , Aug 5, 2003
                                        wrote:
                                        > Hi Jim, at the moment I'd like some line drawings on coaches,
                                        combines,

                                        Currently there are several books in print from Evergreen Press and
                                        Maine Two-foot Publications that you should pick up. There are two
                                        video tapes available, one that is exclusively SR&RL. Maine Two Foot
                                        Publications has a CD of some newly found films coming out soon but
                                        I've forgotten how much of that will be SR&RL if any. Subscribe to
                                        the Maine Two Foot Quarterly and you'll get a four times a year does
                                        of two-foot articles plus ads for much of the stuff that is
                                        available. Also consider joining the SR&RL Museum and getting their
                                        newsletter. It is often a very good resource for recent discoveries
                                        and musings, as are the other 2 foot historical society newsletters.
                                        All of this isn't quite so expensive as it may sound. It will take
                                        just a few hundred dollars spread out over a few months or years to
                                        catch up and get the basics. Even the elusive Two Feet to Tidewater
                                        Volume II is showing up more and more often on Ebay and the prices
                                        have dropped to levels that will make some that paid hundreds for
                                        theirs cringe. Have a look at the links and lists in this group and
                                        you'll soon discover how to get all this stuff. -Jim
                                      • Earle
                                        Message 19 of 28 , Aug 5, 2003
                                          John, sounds like we have similar interests. I bought the book "Ride the
                                          Sandy River" and really got hooked on the Maine 2-footers.
                                          As stated on this list, Underground Railway Press carries some diagrams of
                                          rolling stock. I've purchased several and intend to model the Combine since
                                          the 2' cars are unique (long and narrow).
                                          Our #24 really captures the look of the prototype. My present goal is to get
                                          accurate rolling stock together but it looks like I will be scratchbuilding
                                          also. The NENG kits are pretty good regarding freight cars, however the
                                          passenger cars all appear to be too short. I did hear of one fellow who was
                                          splicing two Bachman passenger coaches together to make one SR&RL coach but
                                          have not seen the result.
                                          If you like 3' Narrow Gauge the Hartford kits can't be beat-they are
                                          excellent!....Earle

                                          http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/