Re: [MaineTwoFooters] Re: ex-Cuban steam

  • LeeRainey@aol.com
    Message 1 of 18 , Sep 1, 2002
      In a message dated 8/31/2002 1:35:57 PM Eastern Daylight Time,

      << For that matter, so would the 30" gauge Baldwin 2-8-2s in
      Patagonia, whose design was - I believe - based upon that of SR&RL
      #23. >>

      Hmmm! We need to look into these!

      Dad
    • christensenge
      Message 2 of 18 , Sep 1, 2002
        Hi Lee,

        Should you do so, please drop me a line. I have some thoughts that
        you may find useful.

        Sincerely,
        Glenn

        --- In MaineTwoFooters@y..., LeeRainey@a... wrote:
        > In a message dated 8/31/2002 1:35:57 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
        > christensenge@y... writes:
        >
        > << For that matter, so would the 30" gauge Baldwin 2-8-2s in
        > Patagonia, whose design was - I believe - based upon that of SR&RL
        > #23. >>
        >
        > Hmmm! We need to look into these!
      • jegame2001
        Message 3 of 18 , Sep 1, 2002
          --- In MaineTwoFooters@y..., Arno Martens <snetram@s...> wrote: >
          > Usually, I cite Ian Thomson in Chile as the most informed person
          on Central /
          > South American steam,

          Arno: may be you must look some other places too.........

          Regard
          Jorge Garreta Mendoza
        • jegame2001
          Message 4 of 18 , Sep 1, 2002
            --- In MaineTwoFooters@y..., "Linc Reed-Nickerson" <w7hie@m...> wrote:
            > Once Castro is dead I expect relations will normalize with Cuba in
            short
            > order.

            Linc:

            Why you believe so?.
            As I know this is off topic, please answer off list to
            jegame@...

            Regards,
            Jorge Garreta Mendoza
          • jegame2001
            Message 5 of 18 , Sep 1, 2002
              --- In MaineTwoFooters@y..., "christensenge" <christensenge@y...>
              wrote:

              Lee and Glenn: I also have some thoughs about, only two are given
              below:

              First: Patagonian Baldwins are 750 mm. gauge outside frame. Would you
              be so kind to tell us how they would be regauged?
              Second: I own two essencialy identical Henschels, only a little
              newer, built in 1959.
              More info on request.

              Regards,
              Jorge Garreta Mendoza

              > Hi Lee,
              >
              > Should you do so, please drop me a line. I have some thoughts that
              > you may find useful.
              >
              > Sincerely,
              > Glenn
              >
              > --- In MaineTwoFooters@y..., LeeRainey@a... wrote:
              > > In a message dated 8/31/2002 1:35:57 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
              > > christensenge@y... writes:
              > >
              > > << For that matter, so would the 30" gauge Baldwin 2-8-2s in
              > > Patagonia, whose design was - I believe - based upon that of
              SR&RL
              > > #23. >>
              > >
              > > Hmmm! We need to look into these!
            • Arno Martens
              Message 6 of 18 , Sep 1, 2002
                Sun, 01 Sep 2002 20:03:03 -0000, "jegame2001" <jegame@...>, wrote:

                >--- In MaineTwoFooters@y..., Arno Martens <snetram@s...> wrote: >
                > > Usually, I cite Ian Thomson in Chile as the most informed person
                >on Central /
                >> South American steam,
                >
                >Arno: may be you must look some other places too.........
                >
                >Regard
                >Jorge Garreta Mendoza

                Jorge,

                there may be a lot of people who know a lot more than Ian, but he constantly
                posts news in the steam_tech group. Also, when asking Ian a question, he usually
                comes back with an answer very fast.

                We haven't heard much from you lately.
                Have you had your operation?
                Did you ever sell one of your locomotives?

                Hasta luego.
                Arno
              • christensenge
                Message 7 of 18 , Sep 1, 2002
                  Hi Jorge,

                  I understand there are a two possible approaches for regauging the
                  Baldwins from 30" to 24". All of them require pressing the
                  cranks/counterweights, Stephenson cams (if necessary/possible) and
                  wheels off the axles first, providing new axles/cutting keyways/etc,
                  and then pressing everything together again.

                  The differences occur in whether or not you need to narrow the
                  spacing of the outside frames.

                  I know a number of locomotive designs are/were capable of being
                  fitted for use on various gauges of track. Your wonderful Henschels
                  come to mind as do the 0-6-2Ts built for the Campbelltown &
                  Machrihanish. A Mechanical Engineer should be able to determine
                  whether the replacement axles/axleboxes are/can be sufficiently
                  engineered to sustain such use. I understand spacing/reinforcing
                  sleeves can also be fitted on the axles between the drive wheels and
                  driving boxes if these are deemed necessary. This would eliminate
                  the need to provide new wheel center castings and driving boxes. I
                  understand at least one 3 foot gauge Baldwin (the 1420)was narrowed
                  in this way for use on the 27.5" gauge Obdullio Morales/Simon Bolivar
                  lines (can't remember which) in Cuba. A number of meter gauge
                  engines were also built with frames spaced for 3' gauge. The Baldwin
                  catalog clearly states "for 3 foot or meter gauge" for several of its
                  designs.

                  The second alternative requires much more work. It would necessarily
                  entail manufacturing new, narrower frame spacers. But the key here
                  is the design of the cylinder castings. I understand that some
                  Baldwin cylinder castings (probably those developed for multi-gauge
                  designs) have sufficient space between the valve chests and the
                  cylinder saddle to permit the frame spacing to be narrowed. The best
                  example I have seen of this is in the design of some of the Baldwin
                  engines used on the sugar lines in Hawaii. If not a possibility on
                  the specific engine in question , the frames would have to be
                  modified so that they are narrower behind the steam chests. Any
                  extra distance that must be made up between the center lines of the
                  cylinders and the cranks can be accounted for by substituting
                  redesigned/lengthened crank pins. I believe this was done when WW&F
                  #10 was narrowed to 24" gauge.

                  Question - Are your Henschels designed in a way that would simplify
                  this conversion?

                  Sincerely,
                  Glenn

                  --- In MaineTwoFooters@y..., "jegame2001" <jegame@t...> wrote:
                  > --- In MaineTwoFooters@y..., "christensenge" <christensenge@y...>
                  > wrote:
                  >
                  > Lee and Glenn: I also have some thoughs about, only two are given
                  > below:
                  >
                  > First: Patagonian Baldwins are 750 mm. gauge outside frame. Would
                  you
                  > be so kind to tell us how they would be regauged?
                  > Second: I own two essencialy identical Henschels, only a little
                  > newer, built in 1959.
                  > More info on request.
                  >
                  > Regards,
                  > Jorge Garreta Mendoza
                • jegame2001
                  Message 8 of 18 , Sep 4, 2002
                    wrote:
                    > Hi Jorge,
                    >
                    > I understand there are a two possible approaches for regauging the
                    > Baldwins from 30" to 24".

                    Glenn: I must beg your pardon, I made a mistake, locomotives are
                    inside frames, wheels are outside, counterweights also.
                    You could widen gauge to 750 or 762 mm and narrow back to 500 mm.
                    People of End of the World Train were considering that posibility.

                    Regards,
                    Jorge.
                  • christensenge
                    Message 9 of 18 , Sep 6, 2002
                      --- In MaineTwoFooters@y..., "jegame2001" <jegame@t...> wrote:
                      > Glenn: I must beg your pardon, I made a mistake, locomotives are
                      > inside frames, wheels are outside, counterweights also.
                      > You could widen gauge to 750 or 762 mm and narrow back to 500 mm.
                      > People of End of the World Train were considering that posibility.

                      My guess is if TFDM narrowed the gauge of your locomotives to 500mm,
                      one locomotive would be capable of pulling the complete coaching
                      stock of their railroad. That would be some sight! The RR would
                      have to lengthen their sidings.

                      I'm glad that you may have found an interested purchaser for your
                      locomotives. But I am even happier they will remain in Argentina
                      with someone who will care for them. It will be much easier for you
                      to visit them.

                      My prayers are with you.

                      Sincerely,
                      Glenn