Re: [MaineTwoFooters] Suggestion to solve virus/worm problems

  • Lloyd Day
    Message 1 of 13 , May 1 2:48 AM
      Re: [MaineTwoFooters] Suggestion to solve virus/worm problems
      I used to follow this rule too, until I got hit by a self-executing virus and had to delete all of my email files.  My McAfee anti-virus didn't even see it, so I switched to Norton, which found and quarantined four infected files.  Norton also nailed every one of the recent spate of virus attachments and quarantined them before they even showed up on my screen.  If anyone on this list is not using a personal firewall and constantly updated anti-virus software, you are a risk not just to yourself, but to the rest of us too.

      For what it's worth -Wes Ewell

      I just love  ths Apple computer.

      Lloyd Day

    • Lloyd Day
      Message 2 of 13 , May 1 2:50 AM
        Re: [MaineTwoFooters] Suggestion to solve virus/worm problems
        The key to Wes's email is self extracting... which means he still opened the email, and then it was too late!   Use of DELETE key required, the file can't self extract until you open the email.

        Wes's suggestion about Norton is worth noting.  Norton seems to be the best one out there.

        Linc
        I have been opening the e-mails also but tthe exe. files don't work on Apple.  My filters work great also.  With 15 years of PC's I never thought I'd be praising Apple but these new iMacs are great!

        Lloyd Day

      • srrl_ferroequinologist
        Message 3 of 13 , May 1 9:22 AM
          --- In MaineTwoFooters@y..., "Wes Ewell" <twofoot@c...> wrote:
          > I used to follow this rule too, until I got hit by a self-executing
          virus and had to delete all of my email files. My McAfee anti-virus
          didn't even see it, so I switched to Norton, which found and
          quarantined four infected files. Norton also nailed every one of the
          recent spate of virus attachments and quarantined them before they
          even showed up on my screen. If anyone on this list is not using a
          personal firewall and constantly updated anti-virus software, you are
          a risk not just to yourself, but to the rest of us too.

          Wes, must be almost 6 months to the day since our dinner twofoot
          discussion turned to computer protection ;^)

          For everyone's sanity, you can protect against some of the self
          executing viruses for Microsoft Outlook. Go to
          http://www.windows-help.net/features/safe-email.html

          Also, you must keep your e-mail program up to date! Like anti-virus
          software definitions, mail programs are being patched to protect
          against many potential flaws. For MicroSoft Windows you should have
          a link to WINDOWS UPDATE under your START icon.
        • PETER MULLETT.
          Message 4 of 13 , May 1 12:16 PM
            If people are using Outlook with the auto preview option on then it is
            possible to become infected without having opened the message.

            With respect I apreciate that you want to keep the options open for
            exchanges of photos/plans but there is always the files area of the yahoos
            group for such information. Other groups that strip off attachments to
            messages do not appear to have any fewer exchanges of such interesting
            material.

            I find that having to scan the subject line each time before opening a
            message from the group a pain as
            - an infected mail could have an innocuous subject line
            - part of the fun of this group is the off beat things that people discuss.
            Am I missing out if I don't read something that looks a bit strange.

            Message 5 of 13 , May 1 12:43 PM
              Bill Kerr wrote this. He tried mightily to get my attention over dinner in
              California last fall, but I didn't take any action because I thought I knew
              how to spot a virus. A week later I got hit with that self-executing virus,
              which immediately locked up my Outlook program so I couldn't delete it. I
              shoulda listened to ya, Bill. -Wes

              Message 6 of 13 , May 1 1:23 PM
                I normally do not post security alerts, but becuase so many are being
                hit with the current KLEZ virus (7% of Internet users at last count),
                hopefully many are re-evaluating the PC security strategy.

                To go with my last message:

                > Also, you must keep your e-mail program up to date! Like anti-
                virus software definitions, mail programs are being patched to
                protect against many potential flaws. For MicroSoft Windows you
                should have a link to WINDOWS UPDATE under your START icon.>

                I just received this update from one of my daily subscriptions on
                Internet Security

                --26 April 2002 Outlook E-mail Editing Vulnerability
                When Outlook users view their e-mail, scripts often cannot run because
                the IE security is set to block them. However, if they use MS Word as
                their e-mail editor, the documents are called in unprotected mode,
                allowing HTML e-mail messages to execute scripts. Microsoft has
                released a patch for the vulnerability.
                http://www.computerworld.com/storyba/0,4125,NAV47_STO70570,00.html
                http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/bulletin/ms02-021.asp

                --29 April 2002 Outlook E-Mail Editing Patch May Not Fix the
                Whole Problem
                Microsoft's recently release patch for the Outlook/Word e-mail flaw is
                only partially effective, according to Georgi Guninski. The exploit
                path through Excel remains vulnerable.
                Guninski's description: http://www.guninski.com/m$oxp-2.html

                As Sarge used to say on Hill Street Blues "be carefull out there"