WW&F Rwy #10

  • James C Patten
    Message 1 of 4 , Dec 19, 1999
      On December 18, 1999, WW&F #10 was steamed up for the first time at it's
      new railroad.

      The fire-up was intended as strictly a test fire-up, to test how the
      locomotive tracked, what mechanical problems might be encountered, etc.
      No problems were encountered. The engine moved under it's own power at
      approximately 11:30.

      After several trips up and down the main line alone, caboose #320 was
      coupled on. Later on, W&Q coach #3 was added to the consist as well.
      The engine pulled them without apparent trouble.

      WW&F #10 was originally built as a 30" gauge Louisiana plantation
      engine, in 1904 by Vulcan. It was acquired by the Edaville Railroad
      around 1958, given the number 5, regauged to 24", and used to pull
      passengers at an amusement park loop near Boston. It was put in storage
      in the early '70s, until revived in 1998 by a group of individuals
      attempting to revive Edaville. The WW&F Railway Museum purchased the
      engine in July of this year, giving it the number 10.

      The engine will be given a going-over during the winter by volunteers,
      and put into revenue service next summer.

      James Patten
      WW&F Railway Museum
    • Tom Casper
      Message 2 of 4 , Dec 19, 1999
        Glad to here things went well. Like the ww&f web site.

        Later;
        Tom Casper

      • Victor_Hamburger@xxxxx.xxx
        Message 3 of 4 , Dec 20, 1999
          From: James C Patten <jcpatten@...>

          On December 18, 1999, WW&F #10 was steamed up for the first time at it's
          new railroad.

          After several trips up and down the main line alone, caboose #320 was
          coupled on. Later on, W&Q coach #3 was added to the consist as well.
          The engine pulled them without apparent trouble.

          The engine will be given a going-over during the winter by volunteers,
          and put into revenue service next summer.

          James Patten
          WW&F Railway Museum

          >>>James,

          That is great news! Has the proper Maine documentation been completed now
          for it to run under steam or was this part of the testing process needed
          for the documentation? I didn't get up to the museum much this summer and
          missed the picnic, but expect I will see #10 and all of you at the annual
          meeting in May. That's only 5 months and a few snowstorms away!

          Vic H
        • James C Patten
          Message 4 of 4 , Dec 20, 1999
            Victor_Hamburger@... wrote:

            > From: Victor_Hamburger@...
            > Has the proper Maine documentation been completed now
            > for it to run under steam or was this part of the testing process needed
            > for the documentation?

            The boiler inspection was done in mid-November, and Jason got the boiler
            ticket last Friday.

            James P.