New WW&F Books

  • James C Patten
    Message 1 of 8 , Feb 5, 2002
      All,

      As most of you know, Bob Jones is re-releasing a new edition "Two Feet
      to Tidewater" on March 1. More than 100 new pages, mostly about the
      "Museum years".

      And on April 1, Volume II of "Narrow Gauge in the Sheepscot Valley" by
      Kohler, DeVos, and McChesney will be out.

      Both books will be on-sale in our giftshop, of course.

      As Gary's already said, June 30 is the book signing at the WW&F for
      Volume II. No book signing has been arranged with Bob Jones yet but I'm
      sure we'll have one. Steam will be run for both events (barring
      unforseen circumstances of course).

      Also Gary noted in his "Maine NG Mini Meet" message that "cab rides are
      extra." Cab rides at the WW&F are free, all that is required is a
      friendly greeting to the engineer or fireman. As the size of #10's cab
      is quite small, rides are limited to "first come first serve."

      James P.
    • lenelg
      Message 2 of 8 , Feb 6, 2002
        --- In MaineTwoFooters@y..., James C Patten <jcpatten@l...> wrote:
        > Cab rides at the WW&F are free, all that is required is a
        > friendly greeting to the engineer or fireman.
        > As the size of #10's cab is quite small, rides are limited
        > to "first come first serve."

        On a trip to Boston in the early eighties, I stopped at the Hobby
        Barn to shop (a prime source of On2 stuff in those days), and to ask
        for directions to Edaville. This innocent question led to hobbyshop
        owner Bob Werner taking the rest of the day off to show me around
        Edaville.

        The high point of the tour was a cab ride in former B&H #8. I am
        about 6'4" tall and almost as wide, Bob was close to the same size,
        and the engineer was no midget either, so any move inside the cramped
        cab had to be carefully coordinated..

        Lennart Elg
      • GARRARDA@AOL.COM
        Message 3 of 8 , Feb 6, 2002
          All this discussion of cab rides prompted me to dig up and post three pictures to the photo section that were taken at the WW&F museum during Father's Day 2000.
          It was cold and raining and I couldn't be happier! Craig Stratton has the same S--t Eatin' Grin that I do. Chris's comment to me when I took his picture when he was riding on the "porch" of the coach ..."better than sex, isn't it?"  Not better than, but real close!
          Gary Adams
        • James C Patten
          Message 4 of 8 , Feb 6, 2002
            #8's cab is positively cavernous compared to #10's. I'd say all of #10 would
            fit inside of #8's cab, but that would be exagerating and we Mainers don't do
            that.

            James P.

          • EANDPNG@AOL.COM
            Message 5 of 8 , Feb 6, 2002
              The return of Two Feet To Tidewater is great news, would you know the price?
              Regards,
              Greg Maxwell
              From sunny Milwaukie, Oregon
            • James C Patten
              Message 6 of 8 , Feb 6, 2002
                I believe the book will be around $60, but I don't know the exact price.

                Our gift shop manager is figuring the cost of shipping them and when he tells me that I'll tell everyone, and give you his email address so that everyone can start ordering :-)

                James P.

                EANDPNG@... wrote:

                 The return of Two Feet To Tidewater is great news, would you know the price?

              • James Sullivan
                Message 7 of 8 , Feb 6, 2002
                  --- James C Patten <jcpatten@...>
                  wrote:
                  > #8's cab is positively cavernous compared to #10's.
                  > I'd say all of #10 would
                  > fit inside of #8's cab, but that would be
                  > exagerating and we Mainers don't do
                  > that.

                  As far as I'm concerned, that tiny cab is a mansion. I
                  first got to ride in the cab of #10 on the WWF last
                  June. Jason was very cordial at my request for a ride
                  and I enjoyed every moment while I videotaped it.

                  James

                  http://greetings.yahoo.com
                • tom2foot@cs.com
                  Message 8 of 8 , Feb 7, 2002
                    the cab on 10 IS tiny compared to 7 & 8 but is spacious compared to the monson engines 3 & 4 i have spent many hours in all of them