4843Re: [MaineTwoFooters] Re: WW&F Question

  • Wesley Ewell
    Aug 13 5:07 AM
      Dave,

      Back when these railroads were built, they didn't have equipment to dig wells anywhere they wanted them as we do now. Instead of augers, they used picks and shovels. Many of the terminals were not near central water supplies that could be tapped. So water tanks were located next to streams, ponds, springs, and swamps. There is no essential need to have the water source and other engine servicing facilities close together. And of course they didn't let the boilers run dry; they simply filled them where the water was available.

      -Wes Ewell

      On Tuesday, August 12, 2014 8:29 PM, "Dave Falkenburg falken@... [MaineTwoFooters]" <MaineTwoFooters@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

      On Aug 11, 2014, at 1:32 AM, MaineTwoFooters@yahoogroups.com wrote:

      In either case I don't understand why there would be any special issues?

      It seems like the turntable and engine house are accompanied by a water tank, fuel, and sand in close proximity.

      I guess I’m just being dense— not that familiar with the mechanics of firing up a steamer.

      I guess you’d never have a steam engine not properly filled with water— otherwise you’d risk damaging the boiler.

      -Dave

      P.S.: The reason I’m asking is that I’m working on a small shelf layout based on Albion, ME in HOn30.

    • Show all 7 messages in this topic