      From: MaineTwoFooters@yahoogroups.com
      [mailto:MaineTwoFooters@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of Christopher Blackwell
      Sent: Sunday, May 19, 2013 12:07 AM
      To: MaineTwoFooters@yahoogroups.com
      Subject: [MaineTwoFooters] How are different parts Maine different?

      Most of what we see on model railroads is what I call generic Maine.
      Yet I am certain there had to be features that would stand out in different
      parts of Maine. for instance maine was known as the pine tree state.
      Ever see a layout with much in the way of pine trees, or at higher altitude
      spruce.
      Around the turn of the century spruce was often more commonly logged as pine
      was logged out. Spruce is what you see for most of the paper mills.

      Different soils different trees. What trees were popular for logging when?
      Different soils different crops, so what crops were common in what parts of
      Maine?

      How did the forests of the late 19t century and early 20th century differ
      from what we see today? I would imagine more larger trees more spaced out,
      but also far more variety in sizes and in different types of trees. Mono
      culture is a more modern thing with trees in an area now mostly the same
      basic size. Fires were more common, so were the various transitional stages
      of forest.

      Keeping employed was always difficult and often seasonal, so maple sap in
      fall or early winder, logging mostly in the winter, fishing in the summer,
      but with farming heavy in spring and fall work wise. How does that affect
      business on the railroads. Maine was known for horrible roads so early
      settlement was along the rivers and early railroads along river valleys. In
      horse and buggy days winer roads were rolled and compressed with heavy
      wooden rollers, loaded with rocks and pulled by oxen. Oxen were common in
      many logging areas while teams of horses in other areas. By the way consider
      horse mules oxen, ad other farm animals ever consider how much freight they
      generated, not only moving the animals, oats hay ad what have you, gear,
      wagons and what have you. then there is all that manure, bodies hides meat
      milk, cheese, eggs and the various farm crops, Then the things made from all
      of that, including cannerys, mills of various types shoe factories and so
      forth.

      And this would vary somewhat according to which part of the state you were
      in. So how would the coastal areas differer from inland, norther Maine from
      Central and Southern Maine, and what about Western Maine.

      Now even researching for several years I still have trouble figuring out
      what various parts of Maine were like. Seems lie most f the pictures are put
      out by the tourist orientated business, too many of the same areas.

      I get the general feeling much of Maine is rolling countryside with the
      Glaciers, smoothing off the rough spots, but what about afterward? Did any
      canyons get formed afterward. What rock is there going to be and what color?
      I get the feeling that granite was more likely to be tan than gray, but in
      what parts of Maine? I know there were swampy areas, but what grows in a
      maine swamp that is different from.
      elsewhere.

      There was a lot more wood buildings then brick or stone. In early days few
      would be painted, but what became the common colors? The after major fires
      more brick buildings would go up what color would the bricks be?

      Also what were the brand names common at different times in Maine, besides
      the soft drink Moxie?

      All of these are things that could place you railroad in one part of Maine
      or another.

      Ever notice how many lakes were called ponds?

      Christopher
    • Show all 5 messages in this topic