Retracing my steps: Sylvester - Washburn connection

  • David Sylvester
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 20, 2007
      Retracing my steps: Sylvester - Washburn connection

      Vivian Daniel Sylvester born 20 November 1893 in Hartland, Somerset
      County, Maine, son of Dummer Michael "Mike" Sylvester (Daniel 7,
      Calvin 6, Edmund 5, Zebulon 4, Zebulon [Silvester] 3, Israel 2,
      Richard 1) and Evelyn Lissie Cochran (Randall Nelson, Samuel). He
      died 24 October 1968.

      Evangeline Estelle Washburn born 30 June 1895 in Norridgewock,
      Somerset County, Maine, daughter of Edward Jones Washburn (Alden F
      8, Hosea 7, Hosea 6, [weak link here] Stephen 5, Ephraim 4, Joseph
      3, John 2, John 1) and Alice Eldora Williams (Orrington L 6, Thomas
      B 5, Nathaniel Hall 4, George 3, Samuel 2, Thomas 1). She died 16
      October 1981 in Madison, Somerset County, Maine.

      Married 22 June 1916 in Madison.

      Children:

      1. Living son born 18 February 1917, married. Five sons.

      2. Deceased born 13 September 1918, married and divorced. One daughter.

      Vivian grew up in Carmel, Penobscot County, Maine and other central
      Maine towns and as a teenager removed with his family to Belfast,
      Waldo County, Maine and Searsport, Waldo County, Maine. He was a
      farmer, a brick layer and a mill worker. Early he enjoyed
      photography and making violins and other crafts. Later he enjoyed
      painting with oils and he always loved fishing.

      Evangeline grew up in Madison and met Vivian in Searsport while on
      vacation there. While courting Vivian would ride his bicycle the 70
      miles of muddy roads to Madison to visit Evangeline. She enjoyed
      swimming, writing letters and spending time with her grandchildren.

      Vivian and Evangeline raised their family in Searsport and later
      removed to the Washburn family residence in Madison where they
      lived the remainder of their lives.

      If anybody has anything to add, subtract, confirm or refute I'd
      like to hear what you've got.

      If you'd like to add this information to your database or share it
      with others feel free to do so and please cite the source. If you
      would like to publish this information in your web site, your own
      book, CD or other publication I would appreciate a note from you
      saying so. This data is not to be submitted to any person,
      organization or firm that in the business of collecting data to put
      on commercial CD's or commercial web sites for the purpose of
      selling it to their patrons.

      Best wishes,
      David

      David Sylvester