History question

  • roser
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 1, 2002
      I live on Mount Desert Island, Hancock County, Me.
      I have an old deed 1777, that mentions "Mount Desert Island in the Territory
      of Sagadahoc" --"Pleasant Point situated on the westerly side of the
      harbor, now called Bass Harbor now lying and in and adjacent to territories
      of Sagadahoc"
      Book 1 page 417.
      Can anyone tell me or tell me who to get in touch with, that can explain the
      relationship there, if Sagadahoc is a County down the coast and Bass Harbor
      on Mount Desert Island is in Hancock County, why are they being mentioned as
      being adjacent to each other? Was there a big change in names after 1777?
      Thanks for the help.

      Rosalie in Bar Harbor, Me.
      God Bless America