Need help!! trying to locate info on a privateer

    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 28, 2002
      Dear List members,

      I hope someone can help me. I am trying to prove that my ancestor Issac
      Ingersoll born 7-26-1744 in Gloucester, Mass married 3-3-1764 Susanna Small
      in Falmouth Maine she born 10-6-1744 in Falmouth.
      I am trying to prove his military service.

      He served aboard an American Privateer brig "Yankee Hero". According to the
      book A genealogy of the Ingersoll family 1629-1925 by Lillian Drake Avery
      page 34 Issac was killed by a six pound shot from the British Brig
      "Milford", he was from Newburyport bound to Boston. Capt. Samuel Ingersoll
      of Salem, Ma, Master. Capt. James Tracy commander. The book doesn't list its
      source for this information. I also found information about the battle from
      a book called A Naval History of the American Revolution Chapter 5 Events at
      Sea in 1776. It states that 4 men were killed that day and the remainder
      taken prisoner. But it doesn't list the names of the men killed! I also have
      copies of James Tracy's military records but they are no help. I have the
      history of the ship which is no luck, it just says who owned it and
      describes its size etc. I have searched the Mass soldiers and sailors of
      the rev war no luck. Also tried all the rev war databases listed on
      ancestry.com to no avail.

      Any suggestions as to where I might find a list of the crew members aboard
      this ship? Were privateers names listed anywhere? Any help really!
      appreciated.

      Thanks
      Sue Szewczyk
      Listowner Mainefamilies