Re: [MaineFamilies] genealogy idea

  • Richard A. Stevens
    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 5, 2000
      HI Sue I have done both types of video and am very pleased with them. We
      gathered all the old movies we could find and had them put on video. The
      only "problem" is that we are all spoiled by current videos and miss the
      sound. LOL! The family history video was something we talked about for
      over a year. We wanted to take my father in law (now aged 85) and his first
      cousin, (about to turn 94! ) and have them talk about their WARREN family
      and their upbringing and all. I found a list of 200 or more question on the
      internet, and copied them. I picked the 50 questions that appealed to me
      most, and gave them each a list of the questions to think about. That was in
      May, 1999! In Nov, 99, I went to a genealogy conference, and took a
      session on doing an oral history. The man teaching the class strongly
      advised AGAINST giving them the questions ahead of time. He has had people
      come to the recording session and read the answers directly off the
      paper--very boring he felt. I told them they only had enough room to jot
      down a couple of notes if they wanted to remember a certain fact/story. They
      did a great job on that I have to say. I felt that at their ages and the
      fact that Jessie, the 94 year old, is getting a little forgetful, that this
      was the way to go, for me. I stalled a little more--never just the right
      free time to do it. Finally, on a Saturday just before Thanksgiving, my
      husband and I, with video and audio recorders, descended on Jessie's house
      with my father in law. Dick set it all up, and I got them going a little.
      We recorded over an hour of tape and it is great. They were very dynamic
      and told stories that my husband and Jessie's daughter had NEVER heard!
      Then, we copied the video tape for Jessie's daughter and son, and gave it to
      them. Jessie's daughter even asked me to copy a family tape SHE had done of
      old family home movies. of course we copied that one too---and found it
      contained a film of my husband being held by his parents when he was only a
      few weeks old!!! Great added benefit for us!!

      The point of much of this detail is to add---don't wait too long to do this
      work! About 2 months after we did this, Jessie had a stroke, and while she
      has recovered greatly, her memory is worse and she tends to repeat things
      over and over. WE were lucky! If you are considering doing a video/audio
      history, DO IT NOW! It is a great memory to have. The audiotape was "just
      in case" the video didn't come out, at least we would have the audio
      version.

      One more point. On Saturday, my father in law gave me a whole stack of
      photos of my mother in law's family--mostly unlabelled. Today, I took them
      right over to her sister, the only surviving member of her direct family, to
      have her help me identify and label the pictures. She is not in good health
      and may need carotid artery surgery soon to prevent a stroke, but the docs
      feel she is not a good candidate for the operation. I was afraid to wait,
      "just in case". She is my last link to this info, and not only did she give
      me the info I needed, but I heard wonderful stories about things she and my
      mother in law did while growing--like rubbing butter all over the table and
      "ice skating" on it!! I learned sooo much more than I ever expected.
      Again--do it now!!!

      Barb in CT
      > Hi folks,
      > I have been reading a book about making a "family video".
      > I thought maybe some of you out there might be interested.
      > I have found out that both my side of the family and my husband's side of
      > the family
      > both have old 8mm and 16 film. This is what I plan to do.
      I have also found a book about interviewing you relatives

    • Nanasaf@aol.com
      Message 2 of 2 , Jul 6, 2000
        Dear Barb,
        My sister made a video one time with old photos and had music of the period
        played in background,which was quite effective.
        Just a thought.
        Cheers,
        Bob