1881 newspapers

  • RLeach3669@xxx.xxx
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 30, 1999
      Hi listers
      I am at present involved in the following project:
      I recently purchased 6 volumes of 1881 newspapers. These papers are a
      collection based on news about President Garfield's assassination and later
      death. They are hundreds of papers from little hamlets in Maine to Florida,
      Washington Territory, and cities all over the US.
      What I am doing is collecting family history related items from these papers
      (ie, births, deaths, marriages, and any news articles about people where
      enough info is given to hopefully separate them out) and databasing them with
      MS Access, my hope being to post the items by geographical mail lists. If
      there is news from Wheeling West Virginia to post it on that states mailing
      list. I could also post by names I suppose also. I want this info to reach as
      wide an audience as possible. Any suggestions? Listowners, do you think
      perhaps a new list or lists would serve my purpose? Any ideas accepted.
      Thanks, Richard Leach (President, Greater Lowell Genealogy Club, Lowell, MA.)