Re: Maine Civil War veterans

  • WLander@xxx.xxx
    Message 1 of 14 , Oct 15, 1998
      Susan:
      Sorry, based on the information I have on the Stevens family I can't prove
      or disprove a connection to David Stevens and his family. David was b. in 1823
      so she would have to be a sibling or a cousin if related.
      Bill Lander
    • susansz@xxxx.xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx)
      Message 2 of 14 , Oct 15, 1998
        Hi Bill,

        Thanks for replying. :)
        I'll keep digging.
        sue
      • Gordon Alan Morris
        Message 3 of 14 , Oct 25, 1998
          Hi Tom,

          Is that document available online? If not, would you kindly give me the
          remarks listed under the following ME veteran? John Strattard.

          Thanks and aloha, Gordon.....

          Tom Elliott wrote:

          > From: Tom Elliott <tell@...>
          >
          > At 12:41 PM 10/13/98 -0400, you wrote:
          > >From: Kay Stanton <kstanton@...>
          >
          > Sorry for the delay in responding to your message, but things haven't gone
          > according to plan for the last two to three weeks.
          >
          > >Please tell me about the "Maine Adj. Gen. Reports from 1861-1865". What
          > >do they contain?
          >
          > Basically they state the veteran's name, which unit the veteran was in, his
          > age, marital status, residence, when he mustered into service and remarks,
          > i.e. wounded, killed in action, etc.
          >
          > >I am researching the Heeney and Yates families primarily of
          > >Biddeford/Saco area and feel sure some of them must have been involved.
          >
          > I show the following:
          >
          > Thomas HENEY, a private in Co. B, 5th Me. Reg't, age 23 of Biddeford,
          > single, mustered in 24 Jun 1861, Promoted to Corporal.
          >
          > Michael HENEY, a Private in Co., H 13th Me Reg't. No further info.
          >
          > Samuel S. Yates Wagoner Co. G, 10th Reg't; age 29 from Norway, mustered
          > in 4 Oct 1861, discharged for disability 19 Jan 1863.
          >
          > John Yates, private Co. F 13th Me Reg't; age 41, from Standish, Married,
          > Mustered in 23 Jan 1862, "sick in New Orleans"
          >
          > James M. Yates, private, 2nd Battery, 1st Mounted Artillery; age 40,
          > Single, from Searsmont, mustered in 30 Nov 1861, discharged for disability
          > 18 Jan 1963.
          >
          > Wilson J. Yates; private, Co. I, 21st Me Reg't; age 20. from Bristol,
          > Single, Mustered in 14 Oct 1862, died 4 Aug 1863.
          >
          > George W. Yates, private, Co. D, 6th Me Reg't, age 41, from Bangor,
          > mustered into service 17 Sep 1861 discharged for disability March 27, 1863.
          >
          > John Yeats, private, Co. D, 6th Me. Reg't., age 21 from Bangor, mustered
          > into service 20 Sep 1861.
          >
          > Hope this helps in some small (or great) way.
          >
          > Regards,
          > Tom

        • Tom Elliott
          Message 4 of 14 , Oct 25, 1998
            At 12:41 PM 10/13/98 -0400, you wrote:
            >From: Kay Stanton <kstanton@...>

            Sorry for the delay in responding to your message, but things haven't gone
            according to plan for the last two to three weeks.

            >Please tell me about the "Maine Adj. Gen. Reports from 1861-1865". What
            >do they contain?

            Basically they state the veteran's name, which unit the veteran was in, his
            age, marital status, residence, when he mustered into service and remarks,
            i.e. wounded, killed in action, etc.

            >I am researching the Heeney and Yates families primarily of
            >Biddeford/Saco area and feel sure some of them must have been involved.

            I show the following:

            Thomas HENEY, a private in Co. B, 5th Me. Reg't, age 23 of Biddeford,
            single, mustered in 24 Jun 1861, Promoted to Corporal.

            Michael HENEY, a Private in Co., H 13th Me Reg't. No further info.

            Samuel S. Yates Wagoner Co. G, 10th Reg't; age 29 from Norway, mustered
            in 4 Oct 1861, discharged for disability 19 Jan 1863.

            John Yates, private Co. F 13th Me Reg't; age 41, from Standish, Married,
            Mustered in 23 Jan 1862, "sick in New Orleans"

            James M. Yates, private, 2nd Battery, 1st Mounted Artillery; age 40,
            Single, from Searsmont, mustered in 30 Nov 1861, discharged for disability
            18 Jan 1963.

            Wilson J. Yates; private, Co. I, 21st Me Reg't; age 20. from Bristol,
            Single, Mustered in 14 Oct 1862, died 4 Aug 1863.

            George W. Yates, private, Co. D, 6th Me Reg't, age 41, from Bangor,
            mustered into service 17 Sep 1861 discharged for disability March 27, 1863.

            John Yeats, private, Co. D, 6th Me. Reg't., age 21 from Bangor, mustered
            into service 20 Sep 1861.

            Hope this helps in some small (or great) way.

            Regards,
            Tom
          • Kay Stanton
            Message 5 of 14 , Oct 25, 1998
              Thanks! Didn't exactly recogize anything yet - except that I have a couple of "Thomas
              Heeney lines, so maybe. I have seen it spelled "Heney" on a record that I know ties
              in with mine. The Heeney families also spilled over into Dover, NH. Do you know if
              there a similar record for those veterans?

              I am such a beginner - I envy all those who have done so much wonderful work and can
              prove their lines back so far! My people seem to be so insignifcant in the scheme of
              things that I can barely find their names on a piece of paper!!!

              Thanks again.