Maine Civil War veterans

  • douglas Rogers
    Message 1 of 14 , Oct 12, 1998
      I please need some help locating sites of Maine civil war veterans. I am hoping to develop a website dedicated to Maine veterans..

      Any help or URLS would be appreciated.

      Doug Rogers
    • Tom Elliott
      Message 2 of 14 , Oct 13, 1998
        At 08:06 PM 10/12/98 -0400, you wrote:
        > I am hoping to develop a website dedicated to Maine veterans.. Any
        >help or URLS would be appreciated. Doug Rogers

        Doug,

        I'm not sure where to find Civil War sites, but if you need any help
        with data, I have the Maine Adj. Gen. Reports from 1861-1865.

        Tom in Goshen, IN
        (Native of Freedom, Maine)
      • WLander@xxx.xxx
        Message 3 of 14 , Oct 13, 1998
          Check my site at: http://members.tripod.com/Troutwind/index.html
          I have the transcript of the 1863 Diary of David M. Stevens who was in the 1st
          Maine Cavalry.
          Bill Lander
          Cleveland, TN.
        • Kay Stanton
          Message 4 of 14 , Oct 13, 1998
            Please tell me about the "Maine Adj. Gen. Reports from 1861-1865". What do they
            contain? I am researching the Heeney and Yates families primarily of
            Biddeford/Saco area and feel sure some of them must have been involved. How
            best to find out??? Thanks.

            Tom Elliott wrote:

            > From: Tom Elliott <tell@...>
            >
            > At 08:06 PM 10/12/98 -0400, you wrote:
            > > I am hoping to develop a website dedicated to Maine veterans.. Any
            > >help or URLS would be appreciated. Doug Rogers
            >
            > Doug,
            >
            > I'm not sure where to find Civil War sites, but if you need any help
            > with data, I have the Maine Adj. Gen. Reports from 1861-1865.
            >
            > Tom in Goshen, IN
            > (Native of Freedom, Maine)

          • rmwprw
            Message 5 of 14 , Oct 13, 1998
              The Maine State Archives has a good start on these records: at:
              http://www.state.me.us/sos/arc/archives/military/civilwar/civilwar.htm

              Also: http://sunsite.utk.edu/civil-war/unit1.html and
              http://sunsite.utk.edu/civil-war/unit2.html
              has list of researchers.

              Also check Cyndi's List at: http://www.CyndisList.com/cw.htm

              My ggrandfather was Capt. Isaiah Rendall, company I, 13th Maine.
              --
              Pauline Rendall Woodman
              Dover, NH
              Message 6 of 14 , Oct 14, 1998
                Hi Doug,
                My dad is working on the same project. In his spare time. He's gun ho on
                Maine veterens especillay since I found quite a few from my family.

                SUE
                NY
              • susansz@xxxx.xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx)
                Message 7 of 14 , Oct 14, 1998
                  Hi me again,
                  My dad has a book called adj report to not sure of the year. He actually
                  photcopied
                  it because it belonged to someone else. Maybe I can help.

                  Sue
                • susansz@xxxx.xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx)
                  Message 8 of 14 , Oct 14, 1998
                    Hi Bill,
                    I have some stevens in my line to. I was looking for the parents of Emily
                    Stevens born ca 1817 married Edwin Sawyer. Any connection?

                    Sue
                    Ny
                  • CRBCC@xxx.xxx
                    Message 9 of 14 , Oct 15, 1998
                      Dear Sue,

                      Don't forget to include Hiram "Grizzly" BURNHAM of the 6th Maine from
                      Cherryfield.

                      Caroline
                    • WLander@xxx.xxx
                      Message 10 of 14 , Oct 15, 1998
                        Susan:
                        Sorry, based on the information I have on the Stevens family I can't prove
                        or disprove a connection to David Stevens and his family. David was b. in 1823
                        so she would have to be a sibling or a cousin if related.
                        Bill Lander
                      • susansz@xxxx.xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx)
                        Message 11 of 14 , Oct 15, 1998
                          Hi Bill,

                          Thanks for replying. :)
                          I'll keep digging.
                          sue
                        • Gordon Alan Morris
                          Message 12 of 14 , Oct 25, 1998
                            Hi Tom,

                            Is that document available online? If not, would you kindly give me the
                            remarks listed under the following ME veteran? John Strattard.

                            Thanks and aloha, Gordon.....

                            Tom Elliott wrote:

                            > From: Tom Elliott <tell@...>
                            >
                            > At 12:41 PM 10/13/98 -0400, you wrote:
                            > >From: Kay Stanton <kstanton@...>
                            >
                            > Sorry for the delay in responding to your message, but things haven't gone
                            > according to plan for the last two to three weeks.
                            >
                            > >Please tell me about the "Maine Adj. Gen. Reports from 1861-1865". What
                            > >do they contain?
                            >
                            > Basically they state the veteran's name, which unit the veteran was in, his
                            > age, marital status, residence, when he mustered into service and remarks,
                            > i.e. wounded, killed in action, etc.
                            >
                            > >I am researching the Heeney and Yates families primarily of
                            > >Biddeford/Saco area and feel sure some of them must have been involved.
                            >
                            > I show the following:
                            >
                            > Thomas HENEY, a private in Co. B, 5th Me. Reg't, age 23 of Biddeford,
                            > single, mustered in 24 Jun 1861, Promoted to Corporal.
                            >
                            > Michael HENEY, a Private in Co., H 13th Me Reg't. No further info.
                            >
                            > Samuel S. Yates Wagoner Co. G, 10th Reg't; age 29 from Norway, mustered
                            > in 4 Oct 1861, discharged for disability 19 Jan 1863.
                            >
                            > John Yates, private Co. F 13th Me Reg't; age 41, from Standish, Married,
                            > Mustered in 23 Jan 1862, "sick in New Orleans"
                            >
                            > James M. Yates, private, 2nd Battery, 1st Mounted Artillery; age 40,
                            > Single, from Searsmont, mustered in 30 Nov 1861, discharged for disability
                            > 18 Jan 1963.
                            >
                            > Wilson J. Yates; private, Co. I, 21st Me Reg't; age 20. from Bristol,
                            > Single, Mustered in 14 Oct 1862, died 4 Aug 1863.
                            >
                            > George W. Yates, private, Co. D, 6th Me Reg't, age 41, from Bangor,
                            > mustered into service 17 Sep 1861 discharged for disability March 27, 1863.
                            >
                            > John Yeats, private, Co. D, 6th Me. Reg't., age 21 from Bangor, mustered
                            > into service 20 Sep 1861.
                            >
                            > Hope this helps in some small (or great) way.
                            >
                            > Regards,
                            > Tom

                          • Tom Elliott
                            Message 13 of 14 , Oct 25, 1998

                              Message 14 of 14 , Oct 25, 1998
                                Thanks! Didn't exactly recogize anything yet - except that I have a couple of "Thomas
                                Heeney lines, so maybe. I have seen it spelled "Heney" on a record that I know ties
                                in with mine. The Heeney families also spilled over into Dover, NH. Do you know if
                                there a similar record for those veterans?

                                I am such a beginner - I envy all those who have done so much wonderful work and can
                                prove their lines back so far! My people seem to be so insignifcant in the scheme of
                                things that I can barely find their names on a piece of paper!!!

                                Thanks again.