earlyMaine.org seeking feedback

  • Brian
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 10, 2008
      Hi all,

      My apologies for cross posting, but I wanted to get as many people's
      feedback as possible.

      For close to 3 years, I have been supporting earlyMaine.org with a few key
      volunteers to bounce ideas off from and who occassionaly post information
      to the site as well. The bulk of the financial burden for hosting and
      purchasing new information to post online has been mine personally, and I
      have to admit, my ability to continue this work at the same pace I could
      even 1 year ago is diminished.

      Partially as a result of this realization, I have been talking with a few
      key people who have helped on the site in the past about the possibility
      of creating a non-profit organization to help continue the earlyMaine.org
      tradition of preserving Maine's past through information sharing and
      purchasing of material for sharing with our visitor's that may otherwise
      not be available. See out Letters Collection (
      http://www.earlymaine.org/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=25&Itemid=29
      ) for examples of some of the documents we have been able to post online
      over the past few years.

      The main goals of the organization (in my mind - though its certainly up
      for discussion if anyone is interested) would be the following:

      - support the continued operation of www.earlyMaine.org
      - support the continued purchase of unique documents for posting online,
      and potentially offline as well.
      - promoting collections such as the Gravestone Photo Collection to
      potentially interested people and/or organizations.
      - as funds allow, support educational efforts related to Maine
      History and Genealogy.

      If there is no great interest in establishing a new non-profit for these
      purposes, I do plan to continue earlyMaine.org, but I will not be able to
      put as much new, unique material online as I would like. I will certainly
      continue to blog about events related to Maine history, and establish new
      material as time/money allows.

      Please take a moment to answer the poll question on our web site at
      http://www.earlyMaine.org and let us know your interest level.

      --
      Brian
      -----