Explaination or Info About State Schools 1930

  • Pamela Michna
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 19, 2007

      Hi everyone.  Could someone please clear up my ignorance (lack of information about) re State Schools during the
      1930s.  I have an ancester, Armetta Roderick born 1912, who was an "inmate" at the Pownal State School in
      Glouchester, Me as per the 1930 Census.

      I'm confused...the age range of "attendees" at this school, all female, ranged from 14 to mid-40s.  Was this a
      polite way of saying "jail."  Any information would be appreciated, as my husband and I were also wondering if
      it was a polite way of saying "mental institution" as well.

      Sorry about the ignorance.

      Pam

      Pamela Michna
      Proud Grandmother of Drew and Alexis
      Titles included 'the Wife, Mom and Grinnin'