inquiry how does one research Maine town maps ca 1812

    Message 1 of 2 , May 29, 2007
      Message
      Hi,

      I am trying to find a local a town map ca 1812 listing the homestead of the people living there for the following towns.
      All in Washington County.

      Charlotte, Meddybemps, Alexander, Cooper, Pembroke, Ayers, Baring, Perry, ME

      I am trying to track the family of James Chubbuck and Sarah Stoddard to find out what town their daughter Amelia was born ca 1792-1794.
      Family History says  Perry, ME but I can not find a record of the birth for her. It use to be called Planatation#1. James is listed in the 1790 census.
      and the book Maine place names and the peopling of its town, washington county.

      I am also looking for a birth record for Diannah Zillme daugter of Augustus Zillme and Ameila. Diannah born ca 1812 supposably in Baring but that town didnt exist at that time.
      So I am thinking she was born in Cooper as was it part of Meddybemps and the settlement started in 1812 but not incorporated until 1822.
      her siblings were born in Charlotte starting with her brother Benjamin Henry Zillme born 9 Feb 1813.Charlotte being incorporated 19 jan 1825.
      there is no record of her birth in Charlotte. or she could have been born in Alexander which was settled in 1812. This information from Maine Place Names and the peopling of its towns Washington County.Does anyone have the birth records for the town of Alexander or Cooper or possibly Dennysville?

      Any suggestions as to where I might find these maps online? or a company that would have these maps?

      Thanks
      Susan Szewczyk
      Mainefamilies listowner

    • Ronie Strout
      Message 2 of 2 , May 30, 2007
        The Atlas of Washington County Maine by George N. Colby & Co. 1881 has been reproduced exactly from the original edition.

        You can purchase a copy by sending a check or money order for $19.50 to:  Moon River Press P.O. Box 1, Whiting, Me 04691,  Says to allow two weeks for shipping........Or if your in the area some libraries have copies to sell. But your best bet is to send for it....On each map has the names of where everyone lived with a block showing the area. You will have to enlarge the map or use a magnify glass to read the names or if you have good eye sight you can read them.