worth passing on

    Message 1 of 1 , May 1, 2007
      Message
      Normally I dont pass these things on but I thought this is a nice reminder .

      See note below.

      Susan Szewczyk

      Subject: Earning your desk

      In September of 2005, on the first day of school, Martha Cothren, a
      social studies school teacher at Robinson High School in Little Rock, did
      something not to be forgotten.

      On the first day of school, with permission of the school superintendent,
      the principal and the building supervisor, she took all of the desks out of
      the classroom.

      The kids came into first period and there were no desks.

      They obviously looked around and said, "Ms. Cothren, where's our desk?"

      And she said, "You can't have a desk until you tell me how you earn them."

      They thought, "Well, maybe it's our grades."

      "No," she said.

      "Maybe it's our behavior."

      And she told them, "No, it's not even your behavior."

      And so they came and went in the first period, still no desks in the
      classroom. Second period, same thing, third period too.

      By early afternoon television news crews had gathered in Ms. Cothren's class
      to find out about this crazy teacher who had taken all the desks out of the
      classroom.

      The last period of the day, Martha Cothren gathered her class. They were at
      this time sitting on the floor around the sides of the room.

      And she said, "Throughout the day no one has really understood how you earn
      the desks that sit in this classroom ordinarily." She said, "Now I'm going
      to tell you."

      Martha Cothren went over to the door of her classroom and opened it, and as
      she did 27 U.S. veterans, wearing their uniforms, walked into that
      classroom, each one carrying a school desk. And they placed those school
      desks in rows, and then they stood along the wall. And by the time they had
      finished placing those desks, those kids, for the first time I think perhaps
      in their lives, understood how they earned those desks.

      Martha said, "You don't have to earn those desks. These guys did it for you.
      They put them out there for you, but it's up to you to sit here responsibly
      to learn, to be good students and good citizens, because they paid a price
      for you to have that desk, and don't ever forget it."

      Friends, I think sometimes we forget that the freedoms that we have are
      freedoms not because of celebrities. The freedoms are because of ordinary
      people who did extraordinary things, who loved this country more than life
      itself, and who not only earned a school desk for a kid at the Robinson High
      School in Little Rock, but who earned a seat for you a nd me to enjoy this
      great land we call home, this wonderful nation that we better love enough to
      protect and preserve with the kind of conservative, solid values and
      principles that made us a great nation.

      "We live in the Land of the Free because of the brave."

      Please remember our Troops!

      Check out new cars at Yahoo! Autos.