Re: Revolutionary War patriot Matthew Duran of Durham Maine

    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 26, 2007
      Message
      Dear listers,

      I am trying to find proof of Matthew DuranRev war service. He was born 17 March 1746/47 North Hill, Cornwall, England
      died in Durham, Maine on 04 Jan 1844. He married ca 1771 in Cape Elizabeth Maine, Sarah Strout (possibly a Cash) who was born 13 May 1756 in Cape Elizabeth.

      The sources I have so far (which are NOT sufficient for proof of service for the Daughters of the American Revolution) are:

      History of Durham, ME by Stackpole pg 96-97
      (states, he was a Pvt in Capt, O. Israel Bagley company, Col Ebenezer Newll's regiment of Ancient Militia of Royalsborough (now Durham, Me)

      The date of Bagley's muster roll is 23 March 1787 which according to the DAR is 4 years past the end of the Rev war.

      Grave stone photo with DAR marker in front of it,  he is buried in Cedar Grove Cemetery, Durham, ME

      Maine Sailors and Soldiers of the Rev War pg 221

      1790 census 1830 census, 1840 census

      Abstracts of Graves of Revolutionary Patriots Vol 1 pg 273 (which was complied by the DAR)

      According to the Maine State Archives, his grave registration card has nothing on it. Not when he enlisted or even where he is buried.
      Really helpful huh?

      Any help appreciated.
      Susan Szewczyk
      Maine families list owner