Johnson family in Maine

  • Joyce Landean
    Message 1 of 3 , Aug 1 12:35 PM
      Looking for information on a Johnson family in Maine (possibly N.H. at some time).

      My Grandmother's records has that "Grampy Johson" died 1869; and that "Grammie Johnson" died 09-04-2906 (no first names).

      Her father (their son) was William S. Johnson b. May, 1858 and d. 1917.  Children's birth records (all but one) indicate that he was born in Houlton, Maine.  I have been given a picture of him taken in Farmington, N.H. so am wondering if he lived in that area for a time.

      Family says that he married ??? and had two sons who die young.  Family folk lure has it that his wife ran off with a traveling salesman, leaving him broken-hearted.

      At the age of 33 William married Allura Tarbox in 1891 in Perham, Aroostook County, Maine.

      William had a brother Loren (b. 1861) who married Edith ?? and had at least two chilfen:  Percy and Steve.  Loren probably lived in or near Crystal, Maine - at least at the time of William's death (William was said to be visiting Loren there when he died).

      Another brother was Ed (believed to have been born Oct 02, 1863 and died June 05, 1938).  He owned a harness shop in Washburn, Aroostook County, Maine.  Ed married ??? and had at least one child:  Gladys who later married Guy E. McCubrey - possibly from Washburn, Maine.

      The 1880 Census has Loren S. Johnson (age 19) living in Washburn - listed as son of Netta Smith (age 39).

      The 1900 Census has Edward Johnson (age 36) living in Washburn - listed as son of Loryette E. Rediker (age 59).

      The 1900 Census also lists William S. Johnson (age 42) living in Washburn, Maine with wife Allura (age 28) and lists their 3 children.

      Since "Grampy" Johnson died in 1869, it is conceivable that "Grammie" could have re-married prior to the 1880 census to a Smith.  Sometime within the next 20 years, she could have married again - this time to a Rediker.  Might Netta be a nickname for Loryette?

      Is there anyone out there who might be able to help me with this brick wall??  Any help or suggestions welcome.

      I have checked with the Aroostook County Seat, Maine State Archives in Augusta, several towns in Northern Maine......

      Many thanks for any help you can give me.
      Joyce

    • David Sylvester
      Message 2 of 3 , Mar 26, 2008
        Retracing my steps: Raven - Hanson connection -
        http://www.feliixplace.com/genealogy/merry.html

        William Neal Raven born September 1826 in London, England, died
        1902 in Wade Plantation, Aroostook County, Maine, son of John and
        Annie Raven.

        Hannah Jane Hanson or Hansen born 28 December 1826 in New
        Brunswick, Canada, died 11 May 1894 in Woodland, Aroostook County,
        Maine, daughter of Cornelius Hanson and Lottie Brower.

        Children:

        1. Mary Ann Raven

        2. Eliza Raven

        3. Selena Irene Raven born 29 February 1856 in New Brunswick,
        Canada, died 1943 and is buried in Thorndike, Waldo County, Maine.
        Married George Carson. Four sons. Married Herbert Leslie Merry son
        of Asa Merry and Mary Viletta Wood. Two sons and two daughters.

        4. Mandy Raven

        5. Hulda Raven

        6. John Raven

        7. William Raven

        If you have anything to add, subtract, confirm or refute or if you
        have any connection with this family I'd like to hear from you.

        If you'd like to add this information to your database or share it
        with others feel free to do so and please cite the source. If you
        would like to publish this information in your web site, your own
        book, CD or other publication I would appreciate a note from you
        saying so. This data is not to be submitted to any person,
        organization or firm that in the business of collecting data to put
        on commercial CD's or commercial web sites for the purpose of
        selling it to their patrons.

        Best wishes,
        David

        David Sylvester