FW: marriage questions

    Message 1 of 1 , May 11, 2006
      Message

      -----Original Message-----
      From: J6792@... [mailto:J6792@...]
      Sent: Thursday, May 11, 2006 3:37 PM
      To: MaineFamilies-owner@yahoogroups.com
      Subject: marriage questions

      Hello all,

      I have copies of the Certificates of Marriage for both of my great great grandfather's marriages from his church.

      Michael Malloy married my gg.grandmother Mary Ellen Gahagan on Jan. 8, 1888.  Mary died and Michael remarried. The second bride was Euphemie Louise Dube and that marriage took place on Nov. 21, 1897. Both marriages took place at the Holy Rosary Church in Caribou.

      I sent to the City of Caribou to get copies of the marriage licenses.  The city wrote back, sent a copy of the second marriage license but only sent me a photo copy of the marriage intention that was listed in some record book. They also returned the money for that document that they did not locate.

      But I have a few questions......

      I have a copy of a record I obtained through Family Search which confirms the marriage of Michael and Mary on Jan. 7, 1888. I also have a batch number of M520462. So doesn't that mean that someone documented this marriage somewhere?

      Do you think the one day, Jan 7 vs Jan 8 could have made it difficult for the clerk to find the document?

      Also, the record from Family Search has the place of the marriage as Fort Fairfield, but doesn't Caribou hold the records for Fort Fairfield?  The church was in Caribou.

      I want the documents so I can go back another generation, hopefully to Ireland, and determine who Michael Malloy's parents were. I know Michael was married to both of these women and if I had the documents to show who he was and who his parents were it would just confirm everything for me.

      I know....lots of questions. Hope someone can help me out with the answers.

      Thank you,
      Jackie in Connecticut
      researching Esty/Estes/Estay, Malloy, Gahagan, Hale