request for assistance- revolutionary war era

    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 30, 2005
      Message
      Dear Listers,

      I am trying to prove that Isaac Ingersoll was a Privateer. According to two books I have (Genealogy of Edward Small and A genealogy of the Ingersoll Family
      in America 1629-1925) they both state that he was killed by a six pound shot by the British Brig "Milford".  While serving
      on the American Brig "Yankee Hero". Samuel Ingersoll of Salem, Ma Master.

      BUT, neither book lists their sources for this information.

      I have a report of the battle from Americanrevoltion.org (A Naval history of the American Revolution Volume 5, other events on the sea in 1776)
      The ship was sailing from Newburyport boound for Boston when it encountered the British brig near Cape Ann, now Gloucester. A search of Gloucester records lists
      no death record for him. Both books state that the battle took place on June 7, 1776. However, the DAR (Daughters of the American Revolution)
      will not accept these two books nor the information from Volume 5 as proof he served.
      Does anyone have any suggestions where to look for a death record or proof of his service?

       I have searched many old newspapers with no luck. I have been to the DAR library in Washington, DC and spent a whole day working with 3 librarians trying to find something and had no luck. I have also written to an Institute in MA and they couldnt help either.

      Any help appreciated. Thanks,
      Susan Szewczyk
      Saratoga Springs, NY