RE: [MaineFamilies] Digest Number 494

  • Paul M. Noyes
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 30, 2005
      Mac --

      I purchased the Town of Cumberland VR CD. The images are of the
      original handwritten town record books. Most of the images are easy enough
      to read but some are very light. I have been able to save some of the light
      ones to disk and then enhance.

      The index is surname only and very rudimentary since it is the
      original index written in the town records. I found the index hit-or-miss
      and I've had better luck paging through the records one-by-one. This is
      quite time consuming but rewarding when you are able to find your record.

      My interest in Cumberland was worth the $29.50 but I can't say they
      are user-friendly. The time required to do a detailed search pretty much
      precludes offering to do look-ups.

      --Paul--

      From: "charles brack" <jitsu@...>
      2. Maine VR on CDs
      From: Mac <jerseymac21@...>

      Message: 2
      Date: Wed, 29 Jun 2005 08:26:57 -0700 (PDT)
      From: Mac <jerseymac21@...>
      Subject: Maine VR on CDs

      I noticed some activity concerning Picton Press' scanned vital records on
      CDs and I have a few thoughts on this subject:

      1. Quality of the scanned images. Picton doesn't guarantee the clarity of
      the images. Are the images from microfilmed records or from the original
      town record books? Is it not possible to enhance the scanned images?

      2. The Index. Is it user-friendly, or do you have to do a page by page
      search?

      3. The cost. I see from the catalog that the smaller towns run $29.50 up to
      $69.50 for 2 CDs from larger towns.

      Transcribed vs original records. Genealogists prefer the original, if
      available. Are transcribed records accurate in detail? The transcriptions
      are only as accurate as the individual(s) doing the transcribing. Pretty
      accurate if one individual does the transcribing and another person
      verifying.

      Mac

      http://mail.yahoo.com

      [This message contained attachments]