looking for newspapers ca 1851 for Androscoggin county, ME

    Message 1 of 1 , May 10, 2005
      Dear Listers,

      I hope someone can point me in the right direction.
      I am trying to find an obit for my ancestor Gideon Woodsum who died in
      Poland, Androscoggin county, ME 24 Dec 1851.

      I need to prove a connection to his father Caleb Woodsum. I know the probate
      records have been destroyed for Cumberland county. Would anyone have access
      to the probate records for Androscoggin county? I don't know if he left a
      will. I have the book Woodsum family of America but I need a second source
      to prove his connection to his parents Caleb Woodsum and Susannah Allen.

      I did find a deed for Gideon but it did not say that his "father" left him
      the property.

      The town of Poland Maine doesn't have a death record for him. He was born in
      Falmouth and they don't have a birth record for him. I don't know where he
      was married probably Falmouth. He is buried in Locust Grove Cemetery in
      Poland in a church cemetery. The church doesn't have any records for the
      cemetery either. So, I am hoping for an obit.

      Any assistance appreciated.

      Susan Szewczyk
      Mainefamilies list owner