RE: [MaineFamilies] Digest Number 474

  • Paul M. Noyes
    Message 1 of 2 , Nov 20, 2004
      Hi David --

      I can help some with the NOYES side of the house. Sylvia's father, Peter,
      married Frances "Fanny" NOYES. You can find her ancestry at my Gencircles
      database at http://www.gencircles.com/users/noyes/1/data/8594

      I'll send an ancestry report to you separately.

      --Paul--

      Date: Fri, 19 Nov 2004 20:46:54 -0000
      From: sylvan_luvr@...
      Subject: Hello Maine Families~ new guy

      Just a hello,

      I joined on several days back and have not seen any activity. Guess
      you all talked yourselves out before I got here! :D

      Well, I am still in that ambitious mode - gathering all I can,
      organizing the data, drawing up a family tree, seeking leads on dead
      ends, etc. - which is what brought me here~

      One leg of my family leads back to the very early days of Maine
      territory and I have been thrilled to see all the connections there!
      Among the family names are:

      Bartlett - Bittfield - Chase - Crosby - Currier - Griffin - Hale -
      Hutchinson - Jewett - Merrill - Morse - Moulton - Noyes - Perkins -
      Philbrick - Poor(e) - Pickard - Platt - Roberts - Sargent - Sawyer -
      Shattswell - Weed - Wheeler - Winsley - Wood - Yoeman

      Some of these names hale from the early 1600's Mass & NH but all lead
      down to my GG Grandmother Sylvia Philbrick b. 1832/d. 1865, Jefferson
      Maine. I have worked out a great deal on her family & ancestors but
      scarcely a thing on her Husband - John J. (S) Sutherland - who
      emigrated from Upper Canada in 1852. I am interested in extending and
      sharing any of my current information on Sylvias ancestors and have
      some great internet sites that have been tremendous help, but am
      seeking a needle in the haystack on her husband.

      As I settle in and get a feel for the group I will post some queries
      for further info on my list, but for now..... Hello!

      David V. Moore
      Phoenix, Arizona
    • David Moore
      Message 2 of 2 , Nov 22, 2004
        OK ~ What I have received thus far has been
        wonderfully helpful on the family lines above Sylvia
        Philbrick b.1832. That particular area I have much
        underway and your input has helped to confirm atleast
        three namesakes so far. But I have another ancient
        Maine family line that I currently have very little on
        and hear there is a great deal allready documented.

        My Gg Grandfather followed the Philbrick family and
        sailed around South America and came to settle
        Catalina Island off the coast of California. He
        hailes from the Waldo and Saghadoc Maine areas. His
        name was Jacob Willey, son of John Willey (b.1801) &
        Nancey Thompson.
        Jacob Married Frances Snowman, daughter of William
        Snowman (b.1796) & Mary Weymout (b.1797).

        If you have any info on these lines it would also be
        appreciated!

        Ever greatful,

        David V. Moore
        Phoenix, AZ