For Marie re: Stetson, etc

  • Jeanne maineancestry
    Message 1 of 2 , May 22, 2004
      Hi Marie! My dad lives in Stetson though he originated from Cape Elizabeth.
      Is there anything I can ask him for you about the area? I am not familiar
      with your surnames, unfortunately, but perhaps someone else on the list will
      respond. I strongly recommend a stop at the Maine State Archives and
      Library at Augusta. They have marriage and death records online, but at
      the archives they also have town records, divorces, all kinds of neat stuff.
      Well worth the visit. Across the hall is the library and they have local
      histories there as well as MOCA (Maine Old Cemetery Association) volumes.
      You might want to stop at Bangor Public Library, about 40 minutes from
      Stetson. If in the Portland area, seek out the Portland Room of the
      Portland Public Library. They also have old newspapers on microfilm in the
      basement level. I know a lot of people visit the Maine Historical Society,
      but I found it expensive and of limited use. I am going to a GRAY family
      reunion in Windham and a reunion on Peaks Island for its "pioneer" families.
      Best of luck and let me know if there is anything I can do. - Jeanne Visit
      my website at: www.maineancestry.com
    • smithy
      Message 2 of 2 , May 22, 2004
        It is the index to marriage records from 1892 and death records from 1960
        that is on-line. To see the record you have to go to the state archives in
        Augusta, where they have births, marriages, and deaths from 1892-1955, plus
        all the censuses, including the Soundex. Portland Public Library also has
        the birth,marriage, and death records on microfilm. The Portland Room on
        the 3rd floor probably would not have much that the state library doesn't
        have, especially for someone researching a location like Stetson. I have
        heard, although I have not visited, that the Bangor Public Library has a
        good genealogical research section.

        Don't forget the county courthouse!!! Probate records and even registry of
        deeds often have very useful information. I have found all kinds of useful
        tidbits of info in both types of records. Unfortunately, probate records
        from before 1908 in Cumberland County were lost in fires. The other areas
        go way back and you also have to keep in mind if your location was once part
        of another county, as the records for that time would be in that county's
        courthouse and not the present one. (sometimes there are exceptions to this
        which is always a nice surprise)

        The State Library has Bangor newspapers on microfilm, as well as other
        locations. I would imagine these are at the Bangor Library as well. I have
        been told that the University of Maine library at Orono is a good source as
        well.

        Chris