Re: [MaineFamilies] Maine Towns

  • David Sylvester
    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 26, 2003
      Hi Janet,

      At 04:34 PM 1/26/2003 -0500, you wrote:

      Is it Bagaduce that is now called Castine??

      According to "The Length And Breadth Of Maine" by Stanley Bearce Attwood, Bagaduce is the "former name of peninsula and region near Castine".  I don't see the word Bagaduce anywhere on his map of the region surrounding Castine so I can't be sure exactly what he means.  He also lists a Bagaduce River.  In Delorme's "The Maine Atlas And Gazetteer" I see the Bagaduce River running between Castine to the west and Brooksville to the east.

         Also, he mentions a Winter Hll near Boston (I know that is MA) - is that now called something else?

      Sorry I have no info for Winter Hill.

       Is or was there a Fox Island?

      The Fox Islands that I'm familiar with are those that make up the two towns of North Haven and Vinalhaven which lie in the middle of Penobscot Bay.

      Attwood also lists a Fox Island in Lubec.  I don't see it in Delorme's so it may be one of the smaller islands.

      Attwood also lists Fox Islands in Phippsburg.  In Delorme's I see some tiny islands labelled Fox Islands just off Popham Beach State Park in Phippsburg.

       They were also building Forts on Fort Hill (?) and another on Brinehorse Mill  (??)  And is there a Fort Abeston?    And one of his company-mates was from Wolfsborough, NH???

      Attwood lists a Fort Hill in Gorham.  Delorme's shows a Fort Hill Brook in Gorham.  I have nothing on the other names.

      Thank you for any help you can give me.    Janet

      I hope it helps you in your search.

      David

      http://www.mdwsweb.com/genealogy-lists
      http://www.mdwsweb.com/genealogy