Re: [MagicalWordsBetas] RE: Academic Statement of Purpose

  • Emily
    Message 1 of 9 , Sep 26, 2013
      It's a horrible horrible document upon which complete strangers judge your worthiness to be a complete human being. It is also a completely fictional document, which no one tells you. Also, should you be admitted to the program, no one reads it again, no one cares what's in it, and no one holds you to it. A hoop if there ever was one. But I can't suggest something better (that they don't already include, like writing samples etc.) so we're stuck with them. It's on this list of things I thank God that I don't have to do anymore. :D

      Message 2 of 9 , Sep 26, 2013

        Never had to fill one out. That I remember. I remember GRE's. That would be about it.

        OTCH Muddy Paws Beautiful Trinket VCD3 UDX2 RAE NAP NJP NFP JH VS

        CH Muddy Paws Que Cera Cera VCD3 UD RE  TDX JH AX AXJ OF VS

        Muddy Paws Three X The Charisma TD NA NAJ CGC Freaky Beak!

        Am/Can CH Muddy Paws Tri The Truth VCD2 UDX RN AX AXJ OAP OJP (Always my little boy now playing with tomatoes and waiting for me)

        Ch Tribute's Three X The Charm VCD3 UDX RAE JH VS (Watching Quark with dismay and waiting patiently for me)

        Strange Quark UD TD NAJ OA (Practicing evil at another level)

        Message 3 of 9 , Sep 26, 2013

          What Emily said. Especially the part about "no one holds you to it." Consider this your first piece of academic fiction - the goal is to demonstrate that you can create on paper the image of yourself as a credible student with a specific program of study. Then you get to grad school, reality sets in and you adjust accordingly.

          It's kind of like the grad school version of Murphy's laws of battle - no battle plan ever survives contact with the enemy.

          :) Sarah
        • Ken
          Message 4 of 9 , Sep 27, 2013
            And, naturally, it has to be perfect :)

            Ken

            We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of the dreams.