First chapter of my new WIP

  • jwbelser
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 1, 2012
      Hi all --

      I'm about to post the first chapter of my new WIP, and I'd be glad to hear comments from the group if anyone is interested in taking a look. It's heroic fantasy, perhaps best described as a renaissance-era urban fantasy.

      Since it's so new, I don't need detailed critiques at this point. But I'd be really appreciative of reader feedback, and I'd love to hear any thoughts and impressions about the characters, setting, storyline, etc. I'm pasting my working blurb about the book below, in case you want a glimpse before you read.

      Thanks,
      Julia

      Blurb for the WIP:

      Daro was once the darling of her country's powerful Sisterhood, until she shed her novice robes for an emerald twirlskirt and snuck into the Sylander ducal ball. It should have been a lark. But Daro was a half-trained Sensitive and starstruck besides. One of the powerful Eld lords suborned her gift, slipped into her skin, and knifed the Sylander heir in the middle of a waltz. Before the night was out, Daro was attested for murder.

      Daro did six years in the Vault for a crime she never intended--and now she's done with Eld and politics alike. But when the Sisterhood declares her fit for parole, her freedom comes with a price. Daro must partner with a loyalist Eld woman and the Sylander matriarch in order to keep a band of rebel Eld from taking control of the city. Will the bitter history of betrayal doom their efforts and destroy their land--or will Daro learn to trust an Eld woman, make peace with the mother of the boy she killed, and face down the man who shattered her innocence?