Wright's Writing Corner: On Angels

  • L. Jagi Lamplighter Wright
    Message 1 of 9 , Dec 1, 2011

      Excerpt

      Some time ago, I promised to begin a series of articles about writing about the Great Ideas. The first Great Idea listed by Mortimer Adler happens to be Angels. So, today, I thought I would write about writing about angels.

      Some things are intrinsically hard to write about. Angels may be one of those things. I have almost never seen them done well in fiction. I have, however, read really stirring accounts of people who believe that they have seen real angels. While I have no way to judge the veracity of their stories, I can feel the power of the narrative. It come with a sense of awe and wonder.

      Somehow, that sense almost never appears in depictions of angels in fantasy and science fiction. Depictions of angels in genre literature and media is almost universally negative. They are the real bad guys, while demons are misunderstood, emo, moody hunks. Or they are weak. Angels are rigid. Angels are hand-wringers. Angels are boring.

    • Deb Smythe
      Message 2 of 9 , Dec 1, 2011
        One of my favorite angel characters was Castiel from Supernatural. I didn't like what they did with him in the last year or so, but early on he was a fascinating character, complex and simple at the same time.

        Message 3 of 9 , Dec 1, 2011
          He appears in a game I'm in as a wolf named Caziel. I almost put his picture with the article. ;-)

          One of my favorite angel characters was Castiel from Supernatural. I didn't like what they did with him in the last year or so, but early on he was a fascinating character, complex and simple at the same time.

          --- In MagicalWordsBetas@yahoogroups.com, "L. Jagi Lamplighter Wright" <lampwright@...> wrote:

          > http://arhyalon.livejournal.com/217683.html
          >
          > Excerpt
          >
          > Some time ago, I promised to begin a series of articles about writing about the Great Ideas. The first Great Idea listed by Mortimer Adler happens to be Angels. So, today, I thought I would write about writing about angels.
          >
          > Some things are intrinsically hard to write about. Angels may be one of those things. I have almost never seen them done well in fiction. I have, however, read really stirring accounts of people who believe that they have seen real angels. While I have no way to judge the veracity of their stories, I can feel the power of the narrative. It come with a sense of awe and wonder.
          >
          > Somehow, that sense almost never appears in depictions of angels in fantasy and science fiction. Depictions of angels in genre literature and media is almost universally negative. They are the real bad guys, while demons are misunderstood, emo, moody hunks. Or they are weak. Angels are rigid. Angels are hand-wringers. Angels are boring.

        • John Lapoint
          Message 4 of 9 , Dec 5, 2011
            I know there's a Supernatural role-playing game. Has anyone checked it out? Is it any good?
            John

            Message 5 of 9 , Dec 5, 2011

              I have not.

              I know there's a Supernatural role-playing game. Has anyone checked it out? Is it any good?
              John

              He appears in a game I'm in as a wolf named Caziel. I almost put his picture with the article. ;-)

              One of my favorite angel characters was Castiel from Supernatural. I didn't like what they did with him in the last year or so, but early on he was a fascinating character, complex and simple at the same time.

              --- In MagicalWordsBetas@yahoogroups.com, "L. Jagi Lamplighter Wright" <lampwright@...> wrote:

              > http://arhyalon.livejournal.com/217683.html
              >
              > Excerpt
              >
              > Some time ago, I promised to begin a series of articles about writing about the Great Ideas. The first Great Idea listed by Mortimer Adler happens to be Angels. So, today, I thought I would write about writing about angels.
              >
              > Some things are intrinsically hard to write about. Angels may be one of those things. I have almost never seen them done well in fiction. I have, however, read really stirring accounts of people who believe that they have seen real angels. While I have no way to judge the veracity of their stories, I can feel the power of the narrative. It come with a sense of awe and wonder.
              >
              > Somehow, that sense almost never appears in depictions of angels in fantasy and science fiction. Depictions of angels in genre literature and media is almost universally negative. They are the real bad guys, while demons are misunderstood, emo, moody hunks. Or they are weak. Angels are rigid. Angels are hand-wringers. Angels are boring.

            • me
              Message 6 of 9 , Dec 5, 2011
                I don't know why it didn't occur to me earlier, but Jim Butcher does a pretty good job portraying angels in his Dresden Files series.  Not as main characters, but more like influences or occasional givers of advice.

                One of my favorite angel characters was Castiel from Supernatural. I didn't like what they did with him in the last year or so, but early on he was a fascinating character, complex and simple at the same time.

                --- In MagicalWordsBetas@yahoogroups.com, "L. Jagi Lamplighter Wright" <lampwright@...> wrote:

                > http://arhyalon.livejournal.com/217683.html
                >
                > Excerpt
                >
                > Some time ago, I promised to begin a series of articles about writing about the Great Ideas. The first Great Idea listed by Mortimer Adler happens to be Angels. So, today, I thought I would write about writing about angels.
                >
                > Some things are intrinsically hard to write about. Angels may be one of those things. I have almost never seen them done well in fiction. I have, however, read really stirring accounts of people who believe that they have seen real angels. While I have no way to judge the veracity of their stories, I can feel the power of the narrative. It come with a sense of awe and wonder.
                >
                > Somehow, that sense almost never appears in depictions of angels in fantasy and science fiction. Depictions of angels in genre literature and media is almost universally negative. They are the real bad guys, while demons are misunderstood, emo, moody hunks. Or they are weak. Angels are rigid. Angels are hand-wringers. Angels are boring.

              • Ronda
                Message 7 of 9 , Dec 6, 2011
                  Jim Butcher does do a great job with angels.

                  Message 8 of 9 , Dec 9, 2011
                    What do I do if I have a short story I want you to beta read?
                    John Lapoint

                    Message 9 of 9 , Dec 9, 2011

                      Post it in the online files and announce here that yould like it read.