Name change

  • Laura Taylor
    Message 1 of 15 , Jan 1, 2011
      Just an update on things: with no desire to continue using Moira Young as an identity, I've switched to (gasp and shock and horror) my real name. It just feels more honest, for now.

      Hope everyone had a fantastic New Years, and may 2011 be filled with writing success for all!

      Cheers,
      Laura
    • L. Jagi Lamplighter Wright
      Message 2 of 15 , Jan 1, 2011
        Well...cool. I guess no one can take that one away. ;-)  Moira Young was a really good writing name, though. I hope that the other person does well with it...or that it comes back to you at some point.

        Guess I never really thought before about what an advantage it is to have a name no one else is going to share. (My husband occasionally complains about me still using my maiden name rather than Wright, but Lamplighter is such a cool name for writing.)

        Jagi

        Message 3 of 15 , Jan 1, 2011
          Thanks, Jagi. (My husband's ok with me keeping my maiden name for now. When we have kids ... well, we'll figure that out when it happens.) I agree, Lamplighter is a cool name!

          Actually, the name I'll probably go by is L.S. Taylor, but for here and at MW proper I'm happy to just be Laura. I blogged about the whole saga here: http://lstaylor.livejournal.com/16737.html

          There's a lesson about Authentic Self in all of this, but that can wait to be pondered upon later. :)

          Laura

          To: MagicalWordsBetas@yahoogroups.com
          From: lampwright@...
          Date: Sun, 2 Jan 2011 01:13:01 -0500
          Subject: Re: [MagicalWordsBetas] Name change

          Message 4 of 15 , Jan 2, 2011
            >My husband's ok with me keeping my maiden name for now. When we have kids
            >... well, we'll figure that out when it happens.) I agree, Lamplighter is a
            >cool name!

            I use Wright for everything except writing. I thought it would be annoying
            to have a different name from my kids, and I kept dropping stuff, like my
            car off the mechanics, and then not remembering what name I left it under
            and getting really weird looks....so I use Mrs. Wright around town and keep
            Lamplighter for writing. It works well...except that sometimes I get
            confused at SF conventions and introduce myself by the wrong combination of
            names.

            >There's a lesson about Authentic Self in all of this, but that can wait to
            >be pondered upon later. :)

            LOL I'd be curious to know what you conclude. ;-)
          • MudEPoz@aol.com
            Message 5 of 15 , Jan 2, 2011
              I always have this *nagging* worry that someone will remember my father when they see my last name. Most of the players are gone, but some have progeny that have continued on in the family business.
              Mud:)

              From: lampwright@...
              Date: Sun, 2 Jan 2011 01:13:01 -0500

              Message 6 of 15 , Jan 6, 2011
                I am writing under my real name (Jamie Gilman Kress) and I find it makes life both easier and harder. No worries about pen name issues, but, I was originally only working on science fiction (obviously I expanded a bit) where my mother-in-law also publishes under 'Kress'. So for a time I was worried that I would get judged by her work, only get read by editors because of her, etc. Turns out neither is so much of an issue, but it did make me think more about the effects of the name under which one writes.

                Jamie

                --- In MagicalWordsBetas@yahoogroups.com, MudEPoz@... wrote:

                > I always have this *nagging* worry that someone will remember my father when they see my last name. Most of the players are gone, but some have progeny that have continued on in the family business.
                > Mud:)

              • L. Jagi Lamplighter Wright
                Message 7 of 15 , Jan 6, 2011
                  Is she Nancy Kress?  I don't think readers are really that much aware of names...except when an author wows or annoys them. Then they remember that author to look for or avoid in the future.

                  I use my real name, but only part of it, and not the part I'm using in every day life. So, I probably will never have someone say, "Hey did you write..."  (I would say it would be unlikely anyway, but my husband once got a job because the woman interviewing for the post was a fan.

                  I am writing under my real name (Jamie Gilman Kress) and I find it makes life both easier and harder. No worries about pen name issues, but, I was originally only working on science fiction (obviously I expanded a bit) where my mother-in-law also publishes under 'Kress'. So for a time I was worried that I would get judged by her work, only get read by editors because of her, etc. Turns out neither is so much of an issue, but it did make me think more about the effects of the name under which one writes.

                  Jamie

                  --- In MagicalWordsBetas@yahoogroups.com, MudEPoz@... wrote:

                  > I always have this *nagging* worry that someone will remember my father when they see my last name. Most of the players are gone, but some have progeny that have continued on in the family business.
                  > Mud:)

                • ladychipmunk
                  Message 8 of 15 , Jan 6, 2011
                    Yes, it is Nancy.

                    My concerns centered more on editor perceptions than readers as I think you're right that most readers don't pay much attention to author names in general. The exceptions being in series (which in urban fantasy-my current genre-are common ) and big names.

                    Still, it's always nice to think you might be recognized.

                    I imagine the situation with your husband's employment was flattering if nothing else.

                  • MudEPoz@aol.com
                    Message 9 of 15 , Jan 6, 2011
                      Let's just say, in my case, back in the 70's there was some falderal that ended up closing down a publishing house. One of the individuals is still around. He would likely recognize the name.
                      Maybe not. I'd have to write, wouldn't I, to find out if there is a problem:P

                      Mud

                      CH Muddy Paws Tri The Truth VCD2 UDX RN AX AXJ OAP OJP

                      OTCH Muddy Paws Beautiful Trinket VCD3 UDX2 RE NAP NJP NFP JH VS

                       CH Muddy Paws Que Cera Cera VCD1 RA TDX JH OA AXJ NF VS

                      CH Tribute's Three X The Charm VCD3 UDX RAE JH (Watching Quark with dismay and waiting patiently for me)

                      Strange Quark UD TD NAJ OA (Practicing evil at another level.

                      <lampwright@...> wrote:

                      > > Is she Nancy Kress? I don't think readers are really that much aware of
                      names...except when an author wows or annoys them. Then they remember that author to look for or avoid in the future.
                      > > I use my real name, but only part of it, and not the part I'm using in every
                      day life. So, I probably will never have someone say, "Hey did you write..." (I would say it would be unlikely anyway, but my husband once got a job because the woman interviewing for the post was a fan.
                      > > > ----- Original Message ----- > From: ladychipmunk > To: MagicalWordsBetas@yahoogroups.com > Sent: Thursday, January 06, 2011 10:29 > Subject: [MagicalWordsBetas] Re: Name change > > > > I am writing under my real name (Jamie Gilman Kress) and I find it makes life
                      both easier and harder. No worries about pen name issues, but, I was originally only working on science fiction (obviously I expanded a bit) where my mother-in-law also publishes under 'Kress'. So for a time I was worried that I would get judged by her work, only get read by editors because of her, etc. Turns out neither is so much of an issue, but it did make me think more about the effects of the name under which one writes.
                      > > Jamie > > --- In MagicalWordsBetas@yahoogroups.com, MudEPoz@ wrote: > > > > I always have this *nagging* worry that someone will remember my father when
                      they see my last name. Most of the players are gone, but some have progeny that have continued on in the family business.
                      > > Mud:) > > > > > > -----Original Message----- > > From: Laura Taylor <lstaylor@> > > To: magicalwordsbetas@yahoogroups.com > > Sent: Sun, Jan 2, 2011 12:30 am > > Subject: RE: [MagicalWordsBetas] Name change > > > > > > > > > > Thanks, Jagi. (My husband's ok with me keeping my maiden name for now. When
                      we have kids ... well, we'll figure that out when it happens.) I agree, Lamplighter is a cool name!
                      MW proper I'm happy to just be Laura. I blogged about the whole saga here: http://lstaylor.livejournal.com/16737.html
                      really good writing name, though. I hope that the other person does well with it...or that it comes back to you at some point.
                      name no one else is going to share. (My husband occasionally complains about me still using my maiden name rather than Wright, but Lamplighter is such a cool name for writing.)
                      identity, I've switched to (gasp and shock and horror) my real name. It just feels more honest, for now.
                      ------------------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Links <*> To visit your group on the web, go to: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/MagicalWordsBetas/ <*> Your email settings: Individual Email | Traditional <*> To change settings online go to: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/MagicalWordsBetas/join (Yahoo! ID required) <*> To change settings via email: MagicalWordsBetas-digest@yahoogroups.com MagicalWordsBetas-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com <*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to: MagicalWordsBetas-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com <*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to: http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
                    • L. Jagi Lamplighter Wright
                      Message 10 of 15 , Jan 7, 2011
                        >Yes, it is Nancy.

                        I've met her a few times. She seemed very gracious and nice, at least in her public persona. I'm surprised the family name is Kress. I thought her husband's name was Sheffield. Am I wrong about that? (SF Conventions may not be the best place to pick up facts.)

                        >My concerns centered more on editor perceptions than
                        readers as I think you're right that most readers don't pay much attention to author names in general. The exceptions being in series (which in urban fantasy-my current genre-are common ) and big names. Still, it's always nice to think you might be recognized.

                        I think recognition grows with time. But there are so many people with similar names, that of

                        >I imagine the
                        situation with your husband's employment was flattering if nothing else.

                        He was quite pleased. He's hardly a huge recognizable name, so this was one of his few "brushes with fame."

                        Message -----
                        href="mailto:MagicalWordsBetas%40yahoogroups.com">MagicalWordsBetas@yahoogroups.com
                        > Sent: Thursday, January 06, 2011 10:29
                        > Subject:
                        [MagicalWordsBetas] Re: Name change

                        > I am
                        writing under my real name (Jamie Gilman Kress) and I find it makes life both easier and harder. No worries about pen name issues, but, I was originally only working on science fiction (obviously I expanded a bit) where my mother-in-law also publishes under 'Kress'. So for a time I was worried that I would get judged by her work, only get read by editors because of her, etc. Turns out neither is so much of an issue, but it did make me think more about the effects of the name under which one writes.

                        > Jamie
                        >
                        > ---
                        In MagicalWordsBetas@yahoogroups.com, MudEPoz@ wrote:

                        > > I always have this *nagging* worry
                        that someone will remember my father when they see my last name. Most of the players are gone, but some have progeny that have continued on in the family business.
                        > > Mud:)

                        > > Thanks, Jagi. (My husband's ok with me keeping my
                        maiden name for now. When we have kids ... well, we'll figure that out when it happens.) I agree, Lamplighter is a cool name!

                        > > Actually, the name I'll probably go by is L.S. Taylor, but for
                        here and at MW proper I'm happy to just be Laura. I blogged about the whole saga here: http://lstaylor.livejournal.com/16737.html

                        > > There's a lesson about Authentic Self in all of
                        this, but that can wait to be pondered upon later. :)

                        > > Laura
                        > >

                        > > To:
                        href="mailto:MagicalWordsBetas%40yahoogroups.com">MagicalWordsBetas@yahoogroups.com
                        > > From: lampwright@
                        > > Date: Sun, 2 Jan 2011 01:13:01 -0500
                        > > Subject: Re: [MagicalWordsBetas] Name change

                        Well...cool. I guess no one can take that one away. ;-) Moira Young was a really good writing name, though. I hope that the other person does well with it...or that it comes back to you at some point.

                        > > Guess I
                        never really thought before about what an advantage it is to have a name no one else is going to share. (My husband occasionally complains about me still using my maiden name rather than Wright, but Lamplighter is such a cool name for writing.)

                        > > Jagi

                      • L. Jagi Lamplighter Wright
                        Message 11 of 15 , Jan 7, 2011
                          I suspect, that, unless you are submitting your book to that very same person, you'd do fine.

                          >Maybe not. I'd have to write, wouldn't I, to find out if there is a problem:P

                          Indeed!

                          I was going to ask you if the publishing company involved was Bluejay, but that was the 80s.

                          Mud

                          Message 12 of 15 , Jan 7, 2011
                            > >Yes, it is Nancy.
                            >
                            > I've met her a few times. She seemed very gracious and nice, at least in her public persona. I'm surprised the family name is Kress. I thought her husband's name was Sheffield. Am I wrong about that? (SF Conventions may not be the best place to pick up facts.)

                            Her public and private personas are fairly similar. She really is just a truly nice person. I got lucky in the mother-in-law lottery.

                            Kress was the surname of her first husband. She published under it initially so continues to use it so as to not lose the name recognition. She was married to Charles Sheffield, though sadly, he passed away.

                            > >My concerns centered more on editor perceptions than readers as I think you're right that most readers don't pay much attention to author names in general. The exceptions being in series (which in urban fantasy-my current genre-are common ) and big names. Still, it's always nice to think you might be recognized.
                            >
                            > I think recognition grows with time. But there are so many people with similar names, that of

                            You're probably right. It certainly hasn't proven to be so much of an issue so far.

                            > >I imagine the situation with your husband's employment was flattering if nothing else.
                            >
                            > He was quite pleased. He's hardly a huge recognizable name, so this was one of his few "brushes with fame."

                            I'd have felt much the same way.

                            > --- In MagicalWordsBetas@yahoogroups.com, "L. Jagi Lamplighter Wright" <lampwright@> wrote:
                            > >
                            > > Is she Nancy Kress? I don't think readers are really that much aware of names...except when an author wows or annoys them. Then they remember that author to look for or avoid in the future.
                            > >
                            > > I use my real name, but only part of it, and not the part I'm using in every day life. So, I probably will never have someone say, "Hey did you write..." (I would say it would be unlikely anyway, but my husband once got a job because the woman interviewing for the post was a fan.

                          • L. Jagi Lamplighter Wright
                            Message 13 of 15 , Jan 7, 2011
                              >Her private personas are fairly similar. She really is just a truly nice person. I got lucky in the mother-in-law lottery.

                              How wonderful. I've always been so impressed with her. I met Charles Sheffield a few times, too, back when he was still with us. He was extremely nice to me, even though, way back then, I was just a writer wanna-be crashing the Green Room. I had not known that Kress was her first husband's name. Joan Vinge is similar. She kept her first husband's name for her writing, as she was already known by it when she married again.

                            • ladychipmunk
                              Message 14 of 15 , Jan 7, 2011
                                The married name dilemma seems to be a common one. I know Nan warned me about it when I chose to take my husband's name. Fortunately, ten years later, I have had no regrets. :)

                                Message 15 of 15 , Jan 7, 2011
                                  >The married name dilemma seems to be a common one. I know Nan warned me
                                  >about it when I chose to take my husband's name. Fortunately, ten years
                                  >later, I have had no regrets. :)

                                  Wonderful! ;-)

                                  I kept my maiden name for writing only because it seemed like a good
                                  writer's name. Otherwise, I would have switched. I've been married 21 years
                                  now...and no regrets. ;-)