"En Vivo Con Victor Arellano"

  • Cheri L. Medcalf
    Message 1 of 12 , Nov 10, 2006
      "En Vivo Con Victor Arellano"

      Folks:
      Please join special guest host Alfonzo Zepeda Capistran this Saturday, November 11, 2006, at 8:00 - 9:00 a.m. on "En Vivo con Victor Arellano" as he holds a special "charla" with Sal Carranza (and possibly Lucia Nunez) in discussing how the elections have affected the Latino community. It should be an interesting discussion.

      Please also note that Victor M. Arellano's brother passed away on Wednesday of this week. I'm sure he would appreciate your support during this difficult time.

      Sincerely,

      Cheri L. Medcalf
      Paralegal to Victor M. Arellano
      Lawton & Cates, S.C.
      10 E. Doty Street, Suite 400
      P.O. Box 2965
      Madison, WI 53701-2965
      (608) 282-6237 - Telephone
      (608) 282-6252 - Facsimile

      The information contained in this transmission is intended only for the personal and confidential use of the designated recipient named above.  This transmission may be an attorney-client communication, and as such is privileged and confidential.  If the receiver of this transmission is not the intended recipient or an agent responsible for delivering it to the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that you have received this document in error, and that any review, dissemination, distribution, or copying of this message is strictly prohibited.

    • Victor M. Arellano
      Message 2 of 12 , Jan 23, 2009
        Folks:

        There are just a few months before we discover who will be the next
        Wisconsin Supreme Court Justice. This Saturday, January 24, 2009, we are
        honored to have on our program, "En Vivo", the Honorable Chief Justice
        Abrahamson. We hope to address issues such as the function of the Supreme
        Court, the role that the Supreme Court plays in reviewing cases that affect
        the entire citizenry, the right to be free from governmental interference,
        claims and/or allegations of activist judges vs. non-activist judges, and
        the certified interpreter program.

        Please join us this Saturday on channel AM1480 (La Movida/Midwest Family
        Broadcasting Corporation) beginning at 8:00 a.m. Chief Justice Abrahamson
        will be available for any caller that may have questions.

        Sincerely,

        Victor M. Arellano, Esq.

        Message 3 of 12 , Feb 6, 2009
          Folks:

          There are just a few weeks left before the primary election (February 17,
          2009) for our new Dane County Circuit Court Judge. This Saturday, February
          7, 2009, we are honored to have on our program, "En Vivo", Attorney Charlie
          Schutze who is running for Judge Nowakowski's position now that he has
          announced his retirement. Regrettably, Latinos hardly ever get involved in
          local judgeship political races. We believe now more than ever that we need
          judges with experience and with the required sensitivity in order to improve
          the sentencing of people of color. There are three candidates for this
          judgeship vacancy and Attorney Schutze is our first guest. He is the first
          Japanese American that has made a decision to run for this vacancy and if
          appointed, will be the first Japanese American judge in Dane County.

          Please join us this Saturday on channel AM1480 (La Movida/Midwest Family
          Broadcasting Corporation) beginning at 8:00 a.m. for this "charla." Attorney
          Schutze will be available for any caller that may have questions.

          Message 4 of 12 , Apr 10, 2009

            Folks:

            While we are excited to hear the possible push for immigration reform, the incarceration of Latinos continues to grow. In many ways this has occurred because the judicial system lacks a balanced approach in the areas of sentencing. Governor Doyle (as previous governors have done in the past) assembled a judicial commission to study the disparity with respect to incarceration of people of color all across the state of Wisconsin. As a member of that Commission, I became extremely concerned about the numbers game that the Department of Corrections plays with respect to identifying Latinos as “White.” Thus, enabling the judicial commission the ability to go beyond identifying African Americans as the main target of the study. Milwaukee County and many other counties continue to label Latino inmates as White from the arrest through the sentencing process. My strong objections were not well received because the entire study became a Black and White issue. Native Americans, Asian Americans, and Latinos fell through the cracks with respect to the judicial commission study.

            Dane County has undertaken a similar task in order to determine the disparity with respect to sentencing and incarceration of people of color. One of the members of this Dane County group, Ms. Laurie Mlatawou, a well known member of the community will appear at the “En Vivo” radio program tomorrow morning from 8:00 a.m. – 9:00 a.m. on  La Movida AM 1480. This is a significant issue that continues to affect people of color and in particular, the Latino community. We urge you to join us in this friendly “charla.”

            Your friend and colleague,

            Message 5 of 12 , Jul 24, 2009

              Folks:

              As we enter the third year of our “En Vivo…” radio program (AM 1480 La Movida – Saturday’s 8:00 – 9:00 a.m.), we are proud to continue bringing to the Latino household and the Dane County population issues of significant interest to the Latino community. Our calendar begins this Saturday, July 25, 2009, with the special appearance of Wisconsin Senator Russ Feingold who has played a significant role in changing the profile of American politics in every respect.

              As you are aware, Senator Feingold fought to maintain the integrity of our Constitution during the Bush Administration. He has also been a driving force in the efforts to clean the American political electoral process through campaign reform. Just recently, he played a significant role during the confirmation hearings of the first Latina that has been nominated for the Supreme Court of the United States of America. The Dream Act has also been an issue for the Latino community. Senator Feingold will address these significant issues when he appears at our radio show tomorrow.

              We are honored and thankful to Senator Feingold for taking time from his busy schedule to speak to the Latino community here in his home state of Wisconsin. Please join me and be ready to contribute as we will entertain telephone calls from the community.

              Message 6 of 12 , Feb 1, 2012

                Folks:

                While we digress with arcane ideas of segregation which I thought had been put to rest by the Honorable Martin Luther King, Jr. and the Supreme Court of the United States, segregation is still very much alive and well. In many ways, certain members of our community of color continue to perpetuate the idea that we can do better by creating institutions on the basis of race and color. (See Brown v. Board of Education, 347 U.S. 483 (1954)).

                I am pleased to present on “En Vivo” this Saturday, February 4, 2012, on AM1480 at 8:00 a.m. Dr. John R. Logan, sociology professor at Brown University and author of several studies regarding the persistence of segregation in the United States. (See “The Persistence of Segregation in the Metropolis: New Findings from the 2010 Census”). We will be discussing through the extensive studies done by Dr. Logan the slow pace of lowering Black and White segregation which has now expanded with the injection of the Latino population into what has been known for years as “the new Hispanic ghetto.”

                Please join me in welcoming Dr. Logan to address this very significant issue as we attempt to incorporate decadent ideas in this community of developing schools on the basis of race/color after 40 years of hard work in the areas of desegregation. (See: the Civil Rights Act of 1964 and read the history of Martin Luther King, Jr. and the thousands who followed him in order to desegregate our schools. Through the same sacrifices he demanded accountability from school districts all across the nation so that all our children would be educated regardless of skin color). That struggle continues today. We cannot afford to experiment with political ideas that will take us back to the not too far past.

                Your friend and colleague,

                Victor M. Arellano, Esq.

                Arellano & Phebus, S.C.

                1468 N. High Point Road, Suite 202
                Middleton, WI 53562
                Telephone: 608.827.7680
                Facsimile: 608.827.7681
                www.aplawoffice.com

                The information contained in this transmission is intended only for the personal and confidential use of the designated recipient named above. This transmission may be an attorney-client communication, and as such is privileged and confidential. If the receiver of the transmission is not the intended recipient or an agent responsible for delivering it to the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that you have received this document in error, and that any review, dissemination, distribution, or copying of this message is strictly prohibited.

              • Victor M. Arellano
                Message 7 of 12 , Sep 21, 2012

                  Folks:

                  Some time ago, many of us openly opposed the creation of a new charter school. In fact, many of us went the extra mile to challenge the legality as well as the political motivations (if any) that we believed were behind the idea of separating groups through public school funding. However, once the storm subsided, the political storm subsided as well. Everything returned to business “as usual.” The low graduation records of minority students still remain the same. The lack of effective teaching has not yet been resolved with specific clarity. We do know that as a result of the political storm we lost a school superintendent. I am aware that a new superintendent will soon be selected. We are yet to understand how the school district plans to address the problems that effect students of color within our city. As a father, a professional, and as a Mexican American, I strongly believe that we cannot sit back and let the school district and its board off the hook. We need to develop strategies and plans in order to address this urgent problem (i.e. should we push for a moratorium on salaries, promotions, etc. until the school district begins to produce real results). It is my opinion that the time has come for us to get serious and fulfill the objective which was dictated by the Supreme Court of the United States in Brown v. Board of Education, 347 U.S. 483 (1954).

                  Please join me tomorrow, Saturday, September 22, 2012, from 8:00 a.m.-9:00 a.m. on AM1480, to welcome a well-known Latino personality who will be providing a report with respect to the work that has been done in order to advance the interest of all students of color in the Madison area. Our friend, Dr. Salvador Carranza, will be a guest on “En Vivo con Victor Arellano.” Please tune in and contribute your comments and suggestions regarding this important issue for our children and students.