RE: Condemning Anti Immigr...

  • Alfonso Zepeda-Capistran
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 7, 2006
      Alix,
      Thank you for your comments. I am happy to know such a brave woman in you.  I know what you are talking about because I have seen my younger sister suffer a lot because of it. I also have a younger brother who is gay, but has managed to keep his relationships very private in order not to allow for community rumors and hate mongering.  I love my brother and my sister very much and I support them 100% and want them to be able to enjoy life like everyone else.

      We have to keep on fighting - en la LUChA!

      Yours,
      Alfonso

      "Olson, Alix" <aolson@...> wrote:
      When you are gay, lesbian, or transgender in America, you are taught to
      hate yourself as you are growing up, from subtle and not-so-subtle
      messages you get from your family, friends, school, church, community,
      media, etc. Every GLT person has to deal with this hate in their
      lifetime. Some are able to get past most of it, and come out. Others
      can't get past it, and live a lie, alone and without support. All of
      us, no matter how we handle it, internalize the hate and turn it onto
      ourselves one way or another. It is never easy being society's
      scapegoat, the ones whom it is still alright to hate, to harass, to
      kill, just because of who we love. And no, it is NOT A CHOICE to be
      GLT, any more than it is a choice to be straight!

      Fear and ignorance breed hate. Fear and ignorance are cop-outs.
      Homophobia (hatred of GLT people) is a tool of the majority society, to
      have power and control over GLT people. Homophobia depends on fear and
      ignorance to sow its lies about us. Until homophobia is eradicated, we
      are all enslaved, you and me both. You may say "it is questionable as
      to whether or not they hate gays,: let me assure you that hate is what
      I feel daily, what I feel right now, what I am trying to have faith
      against with all my strength today, as people I don't know vote to judge
      my love for another human being, and make decisions about my future that
      I can't control. As long as American society judges GLT people as
      unequal, and is willing to try and vote discrimination into our
      Constitution, NONE of us can be free.

      Thanks, Alix Olson