RE: [LaSup] Fwd: Fighting Bob Fest V

  • Per Fredrik Svensson
    Message 1 of 8 , Sep 1 7:35 AM
      Indeed, where are you Ed?

      Fred

      Victor Arellano <varellano@...> wrote:
    • Per Fredrik Svensson
      Message 2 of 8 , Sep 1 7:41 AM
        Well, perhaps, Lucha could organize a tent for the Bob Fest?  Salvador, as the President of Lucha I urge you to get in touch with the Bob Fest organizers, I don't think it is too late.  It is quite sad that there are not more people of color included as presenters and participants.  The audience as well, is always a sea of white folks at Bob Fest....

        Salvador Carranza <salcandresen@...> wrote:
        Victor and Leila:

        I agree with you. I don't know many of the speakers, but among the ones that I do know, there is not even one person of color.  I remember Ed Rico in the past strongly criticizing Bob Fest for not including either people of color or communities of color issues.  This year, of course, the critical issue for our Latino Community, that will have a lasting impact in the future of our country is immigration reform, and I don't see it even perfunctorily addressed.  Why would we, as people of color and Latinos want to "gather around a bonfire"  that doesn't represent us? Yes, the war, the lack of health insurance and poverty does affect us all.  But I would feel more supportive of Bob Fest if it at least attempted to address these issues from the perspective of the disenfranchised, among which people of color and Latinos, are dis-proportionally  represented .  Until they stop taking us for granted and excluding us from their agendas, it is difficult to take them seriously.

        Salvador Carranza
        Victor Arellano <varellano@...> wrote:
        Indeed! Where is Ed Rico!? I am sure he would have much to say on this issue. Something like"how do you spell White-liberal democrat!?

        We surely miss you Ed!?

        Your friend and colleague!
        Victor M. Arellano, Esq..
        Lawton & Cates, S.C.
        10 E. Doty Street, Suite 400
        P.O. Box 2965
        Madison, WI 53701-2965
        (608) 282-6237 - Telephone
        (608) 282-6252 - Facsimile
        The information contained in this transmission is intended only for the personal and confidential use of the designated recipient named above.  This transmission may be an attorney-client communication, and as such is privileged and confidential.  If the receiver of this transmission is not the intended recipient or an agent responsible for delivering it to the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that you have received this document in error, and that any review, dissemination, distribution, or copying of this message is strictly prohibited.
        From: Fighting Bob <fightingbob@ topica.email- publisher. com>
        Subject: Fighting Bob Fest V
        Date: Wed, 30 Aug 2006 12:30:40 -0700

        Bob Fest is just around the corner, and I’m getting excited. If ever we needed to gather around the progressive bonfire, it is now. Civil breakdown in Iraq with over 3400 civilian deaths in July; reconstruction a cruel joke, costs escalating by 7 billion a month as our economy is moving down should be enough. But more challenges face us including the threat to bomb or invade Iran. Isn’t it time to give peace a chance? Isn’t it time for courage from those who would lead our nation in the post-Cheney era.

        Add to that the recent announcement that almost 47 million of us are without health insurance, 37 million of us are living in poverty and our theme “Hold Them Accountable” rings a loud bell.

        We kick-off Fighting Bob Fest on Friday night in Madison with a media conference/fundrais er. Bob McChesney, John Nichols, John Stauber, Matt Rothschild, Greg Palast, and Diane Farsetta will grace the stage of the Barrymore Theatre from 7:00 to 10:00 p.m. Hold the Media Accountable (and catch a greased pig) is the theme.

        Can’t wait to welcome Amy Goodman to Bob Fest and, of course, to welcome our returning heroes Tom Harkin, Bert Grover, Greg Palast, Stan Gruszynski and Tammy Baldwin. Special thanks to Jim Hightower who created the idea of the progressive Chautauqua and who has inspired us every year. And our youngest speaker ever, Andrew Dunn-Bauman, at age 14 will speak about the La Follette legacy.

        Our Break-outs—on our FightingBobFest. org site--include one on Peace chaired by David Giffey and Matt Rothschild. Giffey will unveil his new book, Long Shadows at Bob Fest.

        A session on two vitally important referendums—the death penalty and anti-civil union. Spencer Black, Stan Gruszynski, Mike Tate will chair. A session on the environment will be chaired by David Bender and Pam McGillivray. Both the Sierra Club and Clean Wisconsin will “Hold them accountable.” Who? Let’s start with the PSC. John Matthews and Mike McCabe will lead the session on The People’s Legislature. Finally, Nancy Unger will, once again, host a discussion about Bob La Follette.

        We will have a poem read by the distinguished South African poet Daniel Kunene; music from the Raging Grannies, Peter Leidy, and Chuck Mitchell and in the beer garden Piper Roads Spring Band at noon and Dear August after Palast wraps up the day.

        So, with great speakers, over 60 organizations with booth space, lots of candidates, beer, music, and good humor, this will be the best ever.

        Register early to qualify for the drawing. Admission free—but donations needed. See you on the 9th in Baraboo.

        Ed Garvey

        ============ ========= ========= ========= ========= ========= ========= ==
        Unsubscribe:
        http://fightingbob. b.tep1.com/ f/unsub.html/ aaaj7l6fi8f4wdz9 xxsdym3rxy0posno mk83v_7x38_ qss
        Update Your Profile:
        http://fightingbob. b.tep1.com/ f/?a2i4In. bqh5Vb.YXplcGVk
        Confirm Your Subscription:
        http://fightingbob. b.tep1.com/ f/?a2i4In. bqh5Vb.YXplcGVk. c
        Forward to Friend:
        http://www.topica. com/f2f/? f=aaaj7l6fi8f4wd z9xxsdym3rxy0pos nomk83v_7x38_ qss&r=azepedacapistran% 40yahoo.com
        Delivered by Topica:
        http://www.topica. com/?p=T3FOOTER

        ¤º°`°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø
        ::::::: fredrik svensson ::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::
        :::::::::::::::::::::::::::::: 608.446.4776 :::::::::::
        ::::::::::::::: 608.442.0081 ::::::::::::::::::::::::::
        ¤º°`°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø

      • Leila Pine
        Message 3 of 8 , Sep 1 11:58 AM

          Last time I checked, Ed Rico couldn’t type on the computer because of some additional surgery on his arm and/or hand.  He said he’s still teaching part-time at MATC, but using the computer was out of the question.   I’m sure we’ll hear from him once he can use both arms again.

          Leila

          Couldn’t they find even one person of color to speak at this event?

          Bob Fest is just around the corner, and I’m getting excited. If ever we needed to gather around the progressive bonfire, it is now. Civil breakdown in Iraq with over 3400 civilian deaths in July; reconstruction a cruel joke, costs escalating by 7 billion a month as our economy is moving down should be enough. But more challenges face us including the threat to bomb or invade Iran. Isn’t it time to give peace a chance? Isn’t it time for courage from those who would lead our nation in the post-Cheney era.

          Add to that the recent announcement that almost 47 million of us are without health insurance, 37 million of us are living in poverty and our theme “Hold Them Accountable” rings a loud bell.

          We kick-off Fighting Bob Fest on Friday night in Madison with a media

          (Message over 64 KB, truncated)

        • David Duran
          Message 4 of 8 , Sep 5 7:38 AM
            I would have enjoyed going to the event since its right in my back yard however, I have one of my compadre's son wedding to attend in Appleton WI. This is a call to other good luchistas that can make it to attend an speak out.

            David Duran
            Civil Rights Compliance Officer
            Department of Health and Family Services
            Office of Affirmative Action and Civil Rights Compliance
            P.O. Box 7850
            1 W. Wilson Street, Room 561
            Madison, WI 53707-7850
            (608)-266-9372
            (608)-267-2147 Fax
            (608)-266-2555 TTY
            Email: Durand@...

            * * * * * * * * *
            NOTICE: This E-mail and any attachments may contain confidential information. Use and further disclosure of the information by the recipient must be consistent with applicable laws, regulations and agreements. If you received this E-mail in error, please notify the sender; delete the E-mail; and do not use, disclose or store the information it contains.

            >>> pfsvensson@... 09/01/06 9:41 AM >>>
[...]