"En Vivo con Victor Arellano"

  • Victor Arellano
    Message 1 of 10 , Aug 24, 2006
      Folks:

      As we all work on so many social issues, let's not forget education. This
      Saturday, August 26, 2006, "En Vivo con Victor Arellano" will have as part
      of the summer agenda the Madison Metropolitan School District
      Superintendent, Mr. Art Rainwater, to address issues that affect our
      Latino/Madison school population. As you know, the Latino community is
      facing one of the worst repressive moments in history. Towns moving to
      implement anti-foreign rules/ordinances, employers suing each other under
      the unfair competition statute because of the hiring of migrant workers, the
      health profession continues to deny services to undocumented individuals,
      and governmental agencies continue to deny driver's licenses and other
      benefits on the basis of the new law that was passed by both federal and
      state governments.

      In the midst of these tense times, ¿Quién cuidará a los niños? How are
      children being affected by all these social obstacles as it relates to their
      education? What are the budget problems that the school system is facing
      this coming fiscal year? These are all significant questions that we need to
      convey to Mr. Rainwater. I was very pleased to hear during the "Cuéntame"
      event that took place at MATC a few months back Mr. Rainwater provide
      assurances that the Madison School District will treat all children equally
      regardless of status. I hope I didn't misunderstand his positive message.

      I urge you folks to join me on Saturday from 8:00-9:00 a.m. on La Movida AM
      1480 on "En Vivo con Victor Arellano." You are welcome to pose any questions
      you may have regarding the education of your children directly to Mr.
      Rainwater. You are also welcome to provide feedback in advance to my direct
      email address.

      Your friend and colleague,

      Victor M. Arellano, Esq.
      Lawton & Cates, S.C.
      10 E. Doty Street, Suite 400
      P.O. Box 2965
      Madison, WI 53701-2965
      (608) 282-6237 - Telephone
      (608) 282-6252 - Facsimile

      The information contained in this transmission is intended only for the
      personal and confidential use of the designated recipient named above. This
      transmission may be an attorney-client communication, and as such is
      privileged and confidential. If the receiver of this transmission is not
      the intended recipient or an agent responsible for delivering it to the
      document in error, and that any review, dissemination, distribution, or
      copying of this message is strictly prohibited.
    • Victor M. Arellano
      Message 2 of 10 , Sep 8, 2006
        "En Vivo con Victor Arellano"

        Folks:

        Please tune in to "En Vivo con Victor Arellano" tomorrow, Saturday, September 9, 2006, from 8:00 - 9:00 a.m. on La Movida AM 1480 where we will be addressing the suicide rate epidemic of Latinas in the United States (See New York Times article below). We're honored to have Dr. Luis Zayas, author of the New York Times article enclosed herewith speak to the issues affecting Latinas in the United States.  Dr. Zayas is the Shanti K. Khinduka Distinguished Professor of Social Work. He is also Professor of Psychiatry in the Washington University School of Medicine. He received a Ph.D., M.Phil. and M.A. degrees in developmental psychology, and M.S. in social work from Columbia University, New York, and a B.A. in liberal arts from Manhattan College, New York. He completed psychoanalytic training at the Westchester Center for the Study of Psychoanalysis and Psychotherapy. He is also a visiting professor of family medicine at the Albert Einstein College of Medicine in New York City. He is a native of Coamo, Puerto Rico.

        As you can see from the article, issues related to depression, family conflicts, and early pregnancy may lead to suicidal ideations, a topic seldom addressed by our society. We welcome your input and/or comments during Dr. Zayas' participation on our program. As always, our telephones will be open so that our Latino community can have direct access to our guests. This is an issue that needs to be brought to the forefront of many of the problems we tend to be concerned about as a community.

        Your friend and colleague,

        Victor M. Arellano, Esq.
        Lawton & Cates, S.C.
        10 E. Doty Street, Suite 400
        P.O. Box 2965
        Madison, WI 53701-2965
        (608) 282-6237 - Telephone
        (608) 282-6252 - Facsimile

        The information contained in this transmission is intended only for the personal and confidential use of the designated recipient named above.  This transmission may be an attorney-client communication, and as such is privileged and confidential.  If the receiver of this transmission is not the intended recipient or an agent responsible for delivering it to the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that you have received this document in error, and that any review, dissemination, distribution, or copying of this message is strictly prohibited.

        ---------------------------------------
        Latinas and a cry for help
        The New York Times
        FRIDAY, AUGUST 4, 2006

        A recent series in the Spanish- language New York newspaper El Diario/La Prensa sheds some light on a mostly overlooked phenomenon in the United States, the misunderstood and endangered young Latina, who represents one of the fastest-growing segments of the American population. Hispanic teenage girls attempt suicide more often than any other group. They become mothers at younger ages. They tend not to complete their education. They are plagued by rising drug use and other social problems.

        A U.S. government study found that a startling one in six young Hispanic women had attempted suicide, a rate roughly one and a half times as high as that among non-Hispanic black and white teenage girls. If there was any good news, it was that these young women usually survived. Dr. Luis Zayas, a professor of social work and psychiatry at Washington University in St. Louis, says the self-destructive behavior seems to affect Latinas of every origin and every region of the United States.

        El Diario tracked several young women and found that they faced particularly acute social pressures, especially if their parents were foreign-born. Zayas and other experts note that the suicide attempts trend higher for Latinas who are the first generation born in the United States.

        Adolescent and teenage girls with families recently rooted in Latin America are expected to adhere to old culture traditions, including tending to other family members and putting themselves last. Self-esteem issues are common among teens generally, but they appear magnified for young women who cannot seem to fit in at home or away from it.

        About one-quarter of Latina teens drop out, a figure surpassed only by Hispanic young men, one-third of whom do not complete high school. Latinas, especially those in recently arrived families, often live in poverty and without health insurance.

        Another piece of the puzzle is how to address the complication of very early, usually unmarried motherhood. Religious beliefs in Hispanic families often limit sex education and rule out abortion. U.S. government statistics show that about 24 percent of Latinas are mothers by the age of 20 - three times the rate of non-Hispanic white teens.

        Solving these problems will require more than research. What is needed is a larger effort that includes educators, policy makers, families and communities. Here's one more statistic: One in four women in the United States will be Hispanic by the middle of the century. The time to help is now.

      • Victor Arellano
        Message 3 of 10 , Sep 19, 2006
          Folks:

          If you dare to dream, the fulfillment of such dream often comes with a heavy
          price. A Mexican-American, well accomplished citizen, dreamed to be the
          mayor of one of Wisconsin's larger cities and the ride has been painfully
          rewarding. Please join me to welcome city of Sheboygan Mayor, Juan Perez,
          Esq., an accomplished Latino, who dared to challenge the status quo of a
          conservative community and...prevailed in spite of nasty attacks from people
          who attempted to recall him. The record indicates that Mayor Perez has an
          extensive history of community work and academic accomplishments. Originally
          from Texas, with a bachelor of arts degree from Laredo State University
          (1984) majoring in English and with a political science minor, Mayor Perez
          came to Wisconsin and received his Juris Doctorate from the University of
          Wisconsin Law School (1989) with 23 years of community organizing and
          political affairs experience. Mayor Perez established his roots in the
          Sheboygan area where he became involved in various boards, committees, and
          organizations some of which included Sheboygan Area School District, Board
          of Trustees, member of the Personnel Committee Chairman, Mead Public Library
          Board of Directors (member), President of the Hispanic Advancement Council
          of Sheboygan, President of Friends of the Sheboygan Senior Center, Inc.,
          organizer for the Annual Sheboygan Hispanic Fest, and member of the Literacy
          Council Board of Directors.

          Mr. Juan Perez defeated the incumbent mayor, James Schram, and during his
          campaign he promised "a new way of doing business" which as he put it,
          "would make some people angry." The mayor knew the risks involved when he
          decided to challenge the status quo and a special interest that controlled
          the town. In his quest to lead the city, continued to fight for fiscal
          accountability, fiscal responsibility, and turn the city into a place that
          all its citizens would be proud of. Little did he know that the ugly head of
          racism would soon appear in his path. During the recall, anonymous calls and
          letters identified him as a "bean eater," "taco bender," and "little Mexican
          man." In fact, the Perez home received a phone call where his wife was
          identified as the "Mexican b....." Other incidents of blatant racism
          appeared at a website where a photo of Mayor Perez marching in the 4th of
          July parade in which the U.S. flag in hand was digitally replaced by a
          Mexican flag with a caption reading, "Power to illegals?" Other labels such
          as "Mayor Muchacho" and "Mexican Mafia" were openly and notoriously
          displayed. Although such display of hatred was extremely hurtful to Mayor
          Perez, he never once retreated in his quest to fight for what was rightfully
          his; namely, the right to be the mayor of the city of Sheboygan. Today, the
          mayor continues to lead the city and I urge you to welcome him on Saturday,
          September 23, 2006, at "En Vivo con Victor Arellano" from 8:00-9:00 a.m. on
          La Movida AM 1480. The mayor will welcome your phone calls.

          Message 4 of 10 , Jan 16, 2007
            Folks:

            Upon my return from vacation, I was able to catch up with the political
            events that continue to evolve in our state as well as in our "Mad City." We
            have a new candidate for the city's top position, Mr. Peter Munoz. We also
            have a Latino community that continues to grow and a congress that continues
            to "delegate" federal responsibility (i.e. immigration related issued) to
            the states, cities, and municipalities. For example, the state of Wisconsin
            has approved a new ID requirement with respect to driver's licenses and the
            DMV will now be acting as quasi "immigration agents." Similarly, the federal
            government now requires that all children that need food and medical
            attention from state agencies receiving federal funding must prove that they
            are legally in the country. Across the state of Wisconsin we continue to
            receive information that the police department in various municipalities
            continue to arrest any person who happens to be in the country illegally.
            These are issues of significant importance to the Latino community that need
            to be addressed as we continue to participate in the electoral process.

            The city of Madison has been immigrant friendly for quite some time. In
            fact, a policy of understanding has been in practice for a couple of years
            now. This Saturday, January 20, 2007, "En Vivo con Victor Arellano" (AM 1480
            8:00-9:00 a.m.) will have Chief Noble Wray as a guest who will provide an
            analysis of the problems the city of Madison is facing with respect to
            increase/decrease in crime, recruitment of Latinos, and the policy of the
            City of Madison Police Department with respect to contacting the immigration
            office.
            Subsequently, we plan to invite the political candidates for the mayoral
            position starting with Mayor Dave Cieslewicz on February 3, 2007. I believe,
            given the growth of the Latino population in Madison, that now more than
            ever we need to participate in the local elections. The school system
            provides education for a large number of Latino youth and the city of
            Madison provides public services (i.e. parks, lakes, public places of
            accommodation, etc.) that have become a significant factor in the lives of
            the Latino population.
            Please join me in welcoming Chief Wray in what I believe is his first
            appearance on Latino/Hispanic radio. This weekend Attorney Mario Mendoza
            will also participate in our 1 hour program. We welcome any suggestions
            and/or questions you believe should be presented to any of the participants
            we have invited for the various presentations we plan to hold during the
            political campaign that is taking place in our city.

            Message 5 of 10 , Jan 29, 2007
              "En Vivo con Victor Arellano"

              Folks:

              As the political race for the mayor of the city of Madison heats up, "En Vivo con Victor Arellano" (La Movida AM1480) opens its program with Mayor Dave Cieslewicz this Saturday, February 3, 2007,( from 8:00 - 9:00 a.m.). The field of candidates for this position reflect a good mix that promise a heated debate on the contested issues that affect our city. Moreover, our communities seem to show preferences that are diverse and I must add, quite surprising. The Latino community just like the African American community is facing perhaps for the first time a test of true democratic process. The rest of the citizenry are also experiencing the opportunity to select one individual at the end of the race that will prove to be the person to lead the city into the next four years of financial, educational, and employment prosperity. The mayor has placed the issue of whether a trolley system is acceptable to the citizenry. We urge you get involved in electing the next mayor for the city of Madison and what a better place to start than "En Vivo con Victor Arellano"/"Live with Victor Arellano." Attorney Mario Mendoza will compliment our program with his fine assistance and we hope all of you will participate in posing questions of interests to the candidates starting with Mayor Dave. The call in number is 608-321-1480.

              Mayoral candidate Peter Munoz has confirmed his participation for Saturday, February 17, 2007. Mr. Ray Allen has already participated on "En Vivo con Victor Arellano" and copies of his interview can be provided upon request. Please join me and participate in our democratic process as we get ready to select a new mayor or keep Mayor Dave in place for another four years.

              Message 6 of 10 , Feb 22, 2007
                "En Vivo con Victor Arellano"

                Folks:

                The mayoral primary race is behind us and our friend Peter Munoz no longer in the race. Now it's time to return to the business of providing Centro Hispano with the leadership and direction that the Latino community expects of this organization. As you know, Peter Munoz took over this organization some time ago and as a result of having dared to run for mayor, his position has been in limbo to say the least. The board continues in limbo as well without defining what the status of Peter Munoz's position is or whether the board is going to continue to act as a quasi-director of this organization.

                Centro Hispano has developed a history of advancing Latino interests through its various annual activities (i.e. Centro Hispano Banquet, Fiesta Hispana, etc.). Moreover, this is an organization that receives substantial funding from public entities in order to assist our community to learn and to obtain training for a more sustainable future. For this reason, we feel compelled to address all of these issues that tend to threaten the existence and future of this organization.

                We have invited Peter Munoz as a citizen to "En Vivo con Victor Arellano" in order to discuss his plans as well as his status with Centro Hispano. I believe the Latino community has a lot of sentiment and energies invested in the history of this organization. It's time to demand accountability, stability, and leadership. Please join us this Saturday, February 24, 2007, from 8:00-9:00 a.m. on "En Vivo con Victor Arellano" on AM1480. Any input, opinions, or ideas that can help to make this organization viable and successful will be appreciated.

                Message 7 of 10 , Jul 20 7:21 AM
                  "En Vivo con Victor Arellano"

                  Folks:

                  As we continue to address issues that affect the Latino community in general, there are individuals in our community who have become key players in dealing with conflict that exist within our community. The work done by these unsung heroes is vital for the development of our youth and Latino students. There are many individuals who seldom receive any recognition for the work they do. Please join me this Saturday, July 21, 2007, to participate in a friendly "charla" with young Latino Frank Rodriguez, the New Routes Adolescent Coordinator, from Centro Hispano of Dane County. Frank has been involved in assisting "at risk" youth to guide them towards a positive and productive behavior instead of destructive behavior. Frank, as many other unsung heroes in the Madison area, works with parents on a personal level and tries to assist them in the understanding of the role that parents play in their children's success. The work that Frank Rodriguez does in our community requires that he coordinate his mission with school administrators, counselors, social workers as well as with the Madison Police Department trying to prevent gang activity through positive reinforcement is also one of Frank's responsibilities. "En Vivo con Victor Arellano" is happy to introduce to the Latino community Frank Rodriguez. Part of our future plan is to continue to bring to light the important work that many unsung heroes do in our community.

                  "En Vivo con Victor Arellano" takes place every Saturday from 8:00 - 9:00 a.m. on La Movida AM1480. Please listen in.

                  Message 8 of 10 , Sep 7, 2007
                    "En Vivo con Victor Arellano"

                    Folks:

                    As the school year starts and the Madison Metropolitan School District continues to serve a large portion of the Latino community, Nuestro Mundo continues to contribute to the education of children in a bilingual setting. It has been almost three or four years since this innovative idea (Nuestro Mundo) made history in Wisconsin and this Saturday, "En Vivo con Victor Arellano" is honored to have a school administrator, Ms. Debora Gil Casado, and Nuestro Mundo's board member and outstanding Latino leader, Juan Jose Lopez, to give us an overview as to how the school is doing and what plans lie ahead for this innovative educational concept. Please join us tomorrow, Saturday, September 8, 2007, from 8:00 a.m.-9:00 a.m. on AM1480. Our lines will be open for a friendly "charla" with Ms. Gil Casado and Mr. Juan Jose Lopez.

                    Message 9 of 10 , Feb 1, 2008
                      Folks:

                      As most of you know, for the first time in the history of our city, a claim
                      has been made that the policies and practices of the Dane County Detention
                      Facilities include (lately) the institutional practice of deporting Latinos
                      in almost every case regardless of the seriousness of the charge. This is a
                      matter that concerns the entire Dane County population for many reasons,
                      some of which include budget, racial profiling, etc. This Saturday at 8:00
                      a.m. we have two distinguished guests to address these very significant
                      allegations regarding the Dane County Sheriff's Office and it's policies
                      with respect to the incarceration of undocumented individuals. We are
                      honored to have Chief Dave Mahoney and Mayoral Assistant Mario D. Mendoza,
                      Esq.

                      Please join us in addressing these issues with Sheriff Mahoney and our
                      distinguished Latino representative Mario Mendoza on Saturday, February 2,
                      2008, at 8:00 to 9:00 a.m. on Midwest Family Broadcasting/La Movida at 1480
                      AM.

                      Your participation and/or input is appreciated.

                      Message 10 of 10 , May 14, 2009
                        "En Vivo con Victor Arellano"

                        Folks:

                        Please tune in to "En Vivo con Victor Arellano" Saturday, May 16, 2009, from 8:00 - 9:00 a.m. on La Movida AM 1480 where we will be addressing the suicide rate epidemic of Latinas in the United States. The interview will be conducted with Dr. Luis Zayas, author of the New York Times article Latinas and a Cry for Help (published August 4, 2006), who will speak to the issues affecting Latinas in the United States.