The Fair Housing Movement and Faith Communities: 45 years of supporting the federal Fair Housing Act

  • Laurel Bastian
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 3, 2013

      To Communities United, LaSup, Lucha, AHAA. Apologies for duplicate postings.

      Dear Friends,

      As you may know, this year marks the 45th anniversary of the federal Fair Housing Act, a vital piece of federal legislation that protects us all from discrimination in housing based on factors such as race, disability, religion, national origin, presence of children in our households, and other characteristics.  All year long, the Fair Housing Center has been engaged in an education and outreach campaign to commemorate this anniversary.  We’ve reached out to students, community-based organizations, social service agencies and housing providers.  This autumn, we’re making a concerted effort to develop partnerships with faith-based organizations and religious congregations.  It is our hope that through these partnerships, we can learn from one another about our community’s fair housing needs and work together to promote inclusive neighborhoods.

      If you belong to a group or congregation that would be interested a presentation and discussion about how illegal discrimination and segregation continue to affect all of us, please contact Laurel Bastian at 257-0853, or by email, at lbastian@.... Together, we can fight for communities where everyone has a place at the table.

      For more information about the Fair Housing Center and the issues we address, please visit www.fairhousingwisconsin.com or ‘like’ us on Facebook: www.facebook.com/FairHousingCouncil.

      Thank you in advance for your interest,

      Laurel Bastian

      Program Services Coordinator

      Fair Housing Center of Greater Madison

      (608) 257-0853

      www.fairhousingwisconsin.com
      www.facebook.com/FairHousingCouncil

      The Fair Housing Center of Greater Madison is a member agency of Community

      Shares of Wisconsin.