Fwd: [AbuseDoc] Friday 3 pm meeting, and my article for NMD Newsletter

  • Leila Pine
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 17, 2013
    Hi Friends,

    For years now No More Deaths volunteers have been working hard to try to return personal property stolen by Border Patrol agents, back to the immigrants who were the rightful owners of the property, including cash in dollars or pesos, prescription medications, cell phones, phone numbers of family members, Mexican ID cards and documents, family photos, Bibles, etc. We store the property in rented storage facilities, one of which is near the UUCT parking lot.

    But as the amount of stolen or lost money has continued to increase, No More Deaths is trying to investigate where all those thousands of dollars or pesos goes and who profits from it.  The work on this project just started in June, but meanwhile, attached is an initial first report from Hannah Hafter, Abuse Documentation Coordinator for No More Deaths, with a few examples of actual cases that will show you the complexity of this problem.  See the attachment.

    Leila