Madison School Board “Progress Report” for the week of July 31st

  • Johnny Winston, Jr.
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 1, 2006
      Is it me or is the summer going by way too fast? Very soon the school year
      will arrive for our students and the board action will mark some changes.
      On July 17th the Board approved a �wellness policy� that will prohibit the
      sale of soft drinks at local high schools in favor of milk, diet sodas,
      bottled water and 100% juices. In addition, it will stop the sale of �junk
      food� during the school day that put school cafeterias in competition with
      school stores or vending machines. Some of our students and staff believe
      that this will hurt school fundraising efforts, however, our board believes
      that our students are resourceful and will find alternative means for
      funding. This policy was developed in part because of a federal mandate that
      all schools nationwide must have a wellness policy...The board also approved
      �advertising� and �sponsorship� policies. These policies have very clear
      parameters. Examples of where ads and sponsorship could occur include the
      district website, newsletters and announcements at sporting events. Given
      our fiscal challenges, I believe that this is an appropriate policy that I
      hope will help preserve some of our extra-curricular, arts and sports
      programs which are often vulnerable to budget cuts... On August 7th the
      Board will vote on the proposed �Animals in the Classroom� policy and begin
      the process of evaluating the Superintendent� On August 14th the board will
      discuss the November 7th referendum and have our regular monthly meeting.

      District Notes:
      The summer edition of MMSD Today is now available at
      http://www.madison.k12.wi.us/today/. Congratulations to Reggie Williams for
      being named Boys Varsity basketball coach at LaFollette.... Enrollment of
      all MMSD elementary school students will be Thursday, August 24 from 11:00
      a.m. to 6:00 p.m. at the student�s school... Supply lists for elementary
      schools are online... MMSD�s Summer Food Service provides free meals to
      children. The program was established to ensure that children in needy areas
      continue to receive nutritious meals during summer vacation.

      Save the Date (Community Events):
      On Saturday August 12th the 6th Annual Streetball & Block Party at 12 noon
      to 7 p.m. at Penn Park, South Madison. Activities include a men�s
      basketball tournament, youth activities, food and fun. Proceeds to the
      campaign to promote student achievement and parent involvement... The Food
      Allergy and Anaphylaxis Network (www.foodallergy.org) is putting on a walk
      to raise awareness of food allergies on Saturday August 19th at Elver Park
      at 9 a.m.

      Did you know? Madison School and Community Recreation (MSCR) is a
      department of the Madison Metropolitan School District and has been
      providing recreation programs for 80 years?

      Thank you for your interest and support of the MMSD.

      Johnny Winston, Jr., President, Madison School Board
      jwinstonjr@...

      Want district information? Go to www.mmsd.org
      Write to the entire school board at comments@....
      Sign up for MMSD communications at http://mmsd.org/lists/newuser.cgi
      Watch school board meetings and other district programs on MMSD Channel 10 &
      19.