Monsanto Monday was a SAD DAY for Our Mother Corn

  • J.M.Y
    Message 1 of 2 , May 15, 2013

      “The invention of corn by Mexicans is comparable only to the invention of fire by man.”-Octavio Paz, Mexican poet.

      "Beyond its prevalence in local cooking, corn is a symbol at the heart of countless indigenous traditions and holds great spiritual significance....

      “When we care for and cultivate our cornfields, God is with us."

      Was talking to my Mom yesterday and she said that she was under the impression that corn was not nutritious....she is right but the strain that sweet corn was only one variety of corn taken from the Mexican Indians...sent over seas and manipulated by the Turkish into the corn we know today.
      It is mostly sugar...a holiday corn. The Mexicans had all kinds of corn..some for flour, some for celebrations, some that was so hard, it was only made for the corn water that was drunk as sweet drink or an alcoholic drink.

      Indian varieties of corn in Peru, Mexico and the USA have been tested and many have a more favorable nutritional profile than wheat and rice...but all have to be processed with some sort of lye or bicarbonate of soda to Nixtamalize it into a grain full of B vitamins. This is the flour called masa which we use for tamales and tortillas.

      Monsanto won a horrible case yesterday that basically says they own all the corn on the planet.
      People in Mexico are protesting and fighting this decision. Its not theirs and never will be.
      The two links pasted are on corn and food in general....including its cultural and spiritual connections to those who grow food.

      http://revolutioniseternal.wordpress.com/2013/05/13/from-mexico-to-india-monsanto-is-killing-more-than-just-biodiversity/

      http://www.amazon.it/Stolen-Harvest-Hijacking-Global-Supply/dp/0896086070/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1368561359&sr=8-1&keywords=stolen+harvest