National Urban League: ReMarcs

  • Kaleem Caire
    Message 1 of 1 , May 10, 2013

      http://org2.democracyinaction.org/o/5666/images/2011_weekly_enews/2011-11-08-HEADER-1.jpg

      http://org2.democracyinaction.org/o/5666/images/2011_weekly_enews/2011-11-08-HEADER-2-1.jpg

      http://org2.democracyinaction.org/o/5666/images/2011_weekly_enews/2011-11-08-HEADER-2-2.jpg

      http://org2.democracyinaction.org/o/5666/images/2011_weekly_enews/2011-11-08-HEADER-2-3.jpg

      http://org2.democracyinaction.org/o/5666/images/2011_weekly_enews/2011-11-08-HEADER-3.jpg

      http://org2.democracyinaction.org/o/5666/images/2011_weekly_enews/2011-11-08-HEADER-4.jpg

      http://org2.democracyinaction.org/o/5666/images/2011_weekly_enews/2011-11-08-HEADER-5.jpg

      THIS ISSUE

      ReMARCs  • To Be Equal  • Jobs Network  • Affiliates

      Share This

      Tweet This

      Donate Now

      http://org2.democracyinaction.org/o/5666/images/2011_weekly_enews/2011-09-29-multicolor-bar.jpg

      Opening ReMARCs

      http://org2.democracyinaction.org/o/5666/images/2011_weekly_enews/2011-09-29-item-1-img.jpg

      What is true commitment? It extends beyond mere interest. It drives those who have it to relentless pursuit of a mission.

      Commitment is what I see from our team at the National Urban League every day. A commitment to excellence, results and service. So, I am always encouraged when we are able to make top-level appointments in our organization from within our existing base of committed talent.

      As such, the Urban Empowerment Fund (UEF) Board selected Donald Bowen, the National Urban League’s Chief Program Officer since 2006, as President and CEO of the UEF – our new Community Development Financial Institution (CDFI) and small business loan fund. Previously, Don served as the President and CEO of the Urban League of Broward County from 1991 to 2006 and helped build the affiliate into one of the strongest and most impactful Urban League organizations in the country. For more information, click here.

      I have also named Cy Richardson and Hal Smith – Don’s former two “right-hands” – as the new co-leaders of our expanded Programs Department. Cy, formerly Vice President for Housing and Community Development, is Senior Vice President, Economics and Housing Programs. Hal, formerly Vice President for Health & Quality of Life, is Senior Vice President, Education, Youth Development and Health Programs. For more information, click here.

      I would like to recognize these individuals and our full staff for their accomplishments and continuing commitment of service to us, so that we can remain committed to serving millions more.

      Note: Last week, I shared Part 1 of my conversation on diversity & inclusion with David Cohen, Executive Vice President of Comcast Corporation, for NBCUniversal's Media Insider. Click here for Part 2, as we discuss why diversity is important to business and to the NBCUniversal networks specifically.

      To Be Equal

      http://org2.democracyinaction.org/o/5666/images/2011_weekly_enews/2011-09-29-item-2-top-border.jpg

      “Raise your eyes now, and look from the place where you are…for all the land that you see I will give to you.” Genesis 13: 14-15

      http://org2.democracyinaction.org/o/5666/images/2011_weekly_enews/2011-09-29-item-2-bottom-border.jpg

      Class of 2013: Summon the Courage, Choose to Serve and Live with Compassion

      University commencement season is a time of high hopes and great celebration. I was again reminded of that this past Saturday when I delivered the commencement address at Huston-Tillotson (HT) University in Austin, Texas. This coming weekend, I will also speak during graduation ceremonies at Tuskegee University and Alcorn State.

      Perhaps best known as the university where Jackie Robinson served as athletic director and basketball coach before he set out to break the color barrier in baseball, Huston-Tillotson is the oldest Historically Black College and University (HBCU) west of the Mississippi. For 137 years, it has opened doors of educational opportunity that might have otherwise been closed to many African American students. The enthusiasm and optimism I saw in the faces of this year’s HT graduates – and that I expect to see at Tuskegee and Alcorn – reaffirmed my belief that the future is indeed in good hands.

      Read More

      http://org2.democracyinaction.org/o/5666/images/2011_weekly_enews/2011-09-29-item-red-border.jpg

      Urban League Jobs Network

      http://org2.salsalabs.com/o/5666/images/digitalcareerseries-550.png

      It's taken you years to build your career. Now, spend just an hour with NUL to improve it! We've brought some of the true experts in this space who have the most current digital job search techniques and strategies to help you get to where you want to go!

      SIGN-UP TODAY!

      More Jobs

      http://org2.democracyinaction.org/o/5666/images/2011_weekly_enews/2011-09-29-item-red-border.jpg

      http://org2.democracyinaction.org/o/5666/images/2011_weekly_enews/2011-12-13-DONATE-1.jpg

      Her Path to Success Begins Today

      Your gift provides the tools for her to overcome economic challenges and realize her dreams.

      DONATE

      http://org2.democracyinaction.org/o/5666/images/2011_weekly_enews/2011-09-29-item-red-border.jpg

      Affiliate Newswire

      A Lady and Her Legacy: Exclusive Interview with Maudine Cooper

      http://org2.salsalabs.com/o/5666/images/maudinecooper-150.pngMaudine R. Cooper became President and CEO of the Greater Washington Urban League (Washington, D.C.) in December 1990. This 72-year-old nonprofit, community service and civil rights organization is one of 95 affiliates of the National Urban League as well as a member of the United Way of the National Capital Area.  The Urban League provides direct services in three key areas:  education, employment and training; health promotion and nutrition services; and housing and community development.

      As Ms. Cooper prepares for her upcoming retirement, the Affiliate Newswire held an exclusive interview with the living legend as she reflects on her career, the Urban League Movement and the days to follow.

      Take Action

      http://org2.democracyinaction.org/o/5666/images/2011_weekly_enews/2011-09-29-item-red-border.jpg

      Urban League in New York's Times Square

      http://org2.salsalabs.com/o/5666/images/bankofamerica-timessquare.png

      As you may have seen on our social networks, the National Urban League recently was showcased as one of the national non-profits on Bank of America’s electronic billboard in Times Square. Bank of America is using the billboard to celebrate their connections with important national partners and the communities they jointly serve.

      The billboard generated 1.4 million impressions daily based on the tourist and commuter foot traffic, and encouraged passers-by to visit the National Urban League website and follow us on their social networks.

      http://org2.democracyinaction.org/o/5666/images/2011_weekly_enews/2011-09-29-item-red-border.jpg

      Urban League Events

      Annual Conference

      Philly Heats Up This Summer with the National Urban League Conference!

      Networking events, hot entertainment, empowerment seminars! It's all at the 2013 National Urban League Conference. Join us July 24-27, 2013 in Philly. Register Today!

      Click here for more information.

      What Do You Think

      State of Black Men

      What is the state of Black men in 2013? Journalist and web series moderator Jeff Johnson asks panelists this in the 2013 State of Black America web series. With much to celebrate--including the heightened visibility and opportunities for Black men in leadership positions--where can progress still be made to improve the state of Black men?

      A. Employment, specifically job creation and training for young Black men.

      B. Financial literacy and understanding of savings, investments and basic household accounting.

      C. Rates of incarceration and criminal activity, specifically gun violence.

      D. Other.
      [Leave a Comment]

      Vote A

      Vote B