Bad River Band Visiting Milwaukee January 7 and 8

  • asmondloch@gmail.com
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 3, 2013
      Hello all-

      I just received this notice (below) this afternoon. I hope folks will share it with any contacts you have in the Milwaukee area.

      What happens with the mining legislation in Wisconsin this year is, of course, an environmental and economic issue, but it is more than that. If state law weakens, federal and tribal law will play a greater role. This could put the tribes in the very difficult role and spark some very nasty anti-Indian action that we've not seen since the spearfishing struggles of the 1980's. This is simply not acceptable. I hope we will stand together as one Wisconsin, protecting our water and acting in the way that is right for the seventh generation.

      Peace,
      Amy S. Mondloch

      Dear friends:

      On January 7 and 8, 2013, citizens of the Bad River Band will be visiting the Milwaukee area to raise awareness of the proposal to site an open pit mine in the Penokee Hills and the threat the project poses to human health.  We are working on all of the details, but wanted to let you know that the

      Congregation of the Great Spirit, 1000 West Lapham Street, Milwaukee, WI, has graciously offered to let us use their space for a public meeting on

      Tuesday, January 8 at 7 pm.

      The tentative agenda includes starting with a pipe ceremony, and songs from Bad River.  Mike Wiggins, Jr., Chairman of Bad River, will start off the discussion, with other speakers to be announced, followed by Q & A.

      Please share this information with your community and members of the press.  A full press release and flyer will follow.

      Philomena Kebec

      Staff Attorney

      Bad River Band of the Lake Superior Tribe of the Chippewa Indians

      Chief Blackbird Center

      P.O. Box 39

      Odanah, WI 54861

      Office:

      (715) 682-7107Mobile:

      (715) 292-7236Fax:

      (715) 685-2600

      NOTICE

    • J.M.Y
      Message 2 of 2 , Jan 3, 2013
        Thanks Amy,

        I hope they get support from Idle No More.
        Here is our section in the Pacific Northwest.
        http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=ksESR2BVlqY

[...]

        <*> Your email settings:
            Individual Email | Traditional

        <*> To change settings online go to: