Re: [MadisonLUChA] Re: Manski for School Board, District 5

  • Kaleem Caire
    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 1, 2013
      Ben,

      Please try to run your wife's campaign without smearing the interests and records of hardworking people who will compete against her. Let your wife win on her own record and ideas and not by berating and casting false shadows on others. This madness of political bickering, backstabbing, lying, undermining and fear-mongering that has gripped politics in our state (and nation) has got to stop. We have too many serious issues to tackle and concerns to address.

      For the record, I am not involved in any candidacies for school board. I have a big enough job working to keep Dane County communities focused on the needs, talents and aspirations of children and families who are struggling among us while at the same time, working to help diversify the number of men, women, young adults and children who benefit from our region's prosperity and economic opportunity via jobs and education.

      Also, I feel it's time for others to step up and put it on the line for our children. And I mean for our  "children", not for anyone else. We seem to put every adult interest before the interest of our children, and its just not right. It's hurting our community and undermining our future in so many ways.

      So, in essence, you are running a dishonest campaign if you continue with your false claims. I hope for your wife's integrity and the integrity of her campaign, that you clean up your false assertions and statements, and be truthful.

      Also for the record, you should know, if you care to understand this, that some of us black and brown folks take offense at your continued false assertions and claims that I and other people of color are somehow led or duped by "the corporate lobby", etc. whenever we disagree with you and the groups you represent. In doing so, you open deep wounds that have been long in the making - where in years passed, to keep us in our place, white leadership would cast men and women of color who share a different vision of the future and different ideas about how to move us forward (civil rights leaders) as dangerous (MLK was portrayed as a communist), or worse, that we don't have the capacity to think for ourselves; can't produce our own ideas and proposals, support our own causes or enlist the support of others who will support us.

      Your claims that we are somehow subject to a corporate lobby or right-wing conspiracy to undermine the very public schools that many of us have worked hard to support and improve for decades is beyond ridiculous. And in my case, you clearly have no knowledge of the history of the Black Independent Schools movement, or of the role our nations freedmen and women played in establishing free public education for all...or of what the real, deep and honest intentions of people like me are as we try to finally get our schools to operate in ways that will truly help all of our children succeed. If you knew more about me and my family, and what we've stood for and advocated for over generations, perhaps you'd have a different take. But you will never know if you don't reach out to learn the truth.

      I will tell you what I told Dan Nerad shortly after we started learning how poorly our children were still doing in the Madison schools shortly after I returned to Madison 2 1/2 years ago - "either we work together to implement the type of whole-school solutions that are needed with all deliberate speed for our children to succeed right now or we (Urban League) will find teachers, community members and anyone else  (and yes I mean anyone) who has a heart for our children and dime to give to help us create the learning environments our children need and can't wait anymore time for."

      It's sad that people expect us to wait another decade and put adult interests first while our children, and our race, continues to sink into a hole. Why do you think it is ok for us to wait for more years to save our children when some of us know what works, and how to make it work for children right now? Why shouldn't we be able to submit proposals to help the very children who are failing in our schools when the establishment and its supporters have not successfully done so after all of these years?

      We've lost at least one generation already of black and brown children already. We will not lose another one. After all, it is our children who are falling so far behind, they may never catch up.

      So Ben, let your wife stand on her ideas and record of accomplishment. And, if you want people like me to take you seriously and truly believe that you want to solve these issues as fast and effectively as possible, and that you truly care about the experiences and outcomes of our children and families, then don't let me have to come back to the town that I love and that my family has labored in for more than 100 years only to find my people more worse off than when I left it and Madison leaders behaving as though nothing is wrong and everything is ok.

      Don't let me find uncontested school board elections when our school system and its children are sliding backwards and the public should be taking its schools more seriously.

      Don't let me attend meeting after meeting where we pander our #1 rankings of how great we are while we mask the fact that we are also #1 in racial disparities in academic achievement, high school graduation, college matriculation, and incarceration.

      Don't let me walk into schools, businesses, government agencies, nonprofits and labor unions and see not even one person who looks like me or other people of color in positions of leadership and influence.

      This is 2013, not 1913.

      Madison can and should be better than this. For as long as I am able, I will work with anyone who is in ensuring Madison becomes the city it should be.

      God bless you in your efforts.

      Kaleem Caire
      Be Courageous, Live With Purpose

      Sent from my iPhone.

      On Dec 31, 2012, at 11:10 PM, "Ben Manski" <ben@...> wrote:

      By you of course.

      On Dec 31, 2012 10:52 PM, "Kaleem Caire" <kcaire@...> wrote:
      Ben.

      Corporate lobby?
      Former head of a Bradley Foundation funded group?
      Candidate(s) Recruited...? Recruited by whom?

      To whom are you referring in your comments?

      Truth, Ben. Truth...and Transparency. Base your management of your wife's campaign, and on these qualities.

      Onward.

      Kaleem Caire
      Be Courageous, Live With Purpose

      Sent from my iPhone.

      On Dec 31, 2012, at 10:07 PM, "Salvador Carranza" <salcandresen@...> wrote:

      Thank you Ben,

      I appreciatebthat your wife is willing to run, however, I am supporting Ananda Mirilli.  She has a strong track record in education, in particular with English Language Learners and minority kids.  She has been on the Board of Nuesto Mundo for many years and is chair of Postecondary Connections Committee of the Latino Education Council of Dane County.  And her passion for Social Justice as Coordinator with the YWCA makes her the kind of candidate we need for School Board in a District with over 50% students of color. I do appreciate your wife's willingness to run.  we need more citizens that like her and Ananda are willing to serve our community. But we are supporting Ananda for this seat.

      I hope that your wife can participate in our forum. More details will be forthcoming. Thank you for your message and good luck.

      Sal

      Sent from my iPad

      On Dec 30, 2012, at 20:13, "Ben Manski" <ben@...> wrote:

      Good evening LUChA ~

      You may have already heard the exciting news that Sarah Manski, my wife, is a candidate for the Madison Metropolitan School Board's District 5 seat. I'm writing to fill you in more about what is at stake in this election.

      Many of you have met or worked with Sarah Manski. Yet even if you have known her for many years, you may not know that her advocacy is rooted in her own struggles as a self-supporting high school student living on her own nearly 20 years ago. Sarah's teaching career and her advocacy for public education has been unflagging ever since.

      This will be an important election. For one thing, nearly 300,000 people live in District 5, since this election is at-large. For another, Sarah is determined to protect Madison's schools from the corporate education lobbyists.

      One of Sarah's opponents in this 3-way race is a supporter of using public tax dollars to fund private schools. She was recruited by the former head of a Bradley Foundation-funded group that promotes the corporate takeover of public education.

      In turn, Sarah was recruited to offer an alternative to this other candidate. After weeks of consideration, Sarah filed her declaration of candidacy on December 19th. She is circulating petitions to get on the ballot right now.

      A third candidate declared his candidacy a few days ago, on December 27th. He is a longtime blogger and activist on education policy.

      I am proud of Sarah for taking on this challenge. I know why other teachers, education activists, and students urged her to run. They know that Scott Walker has plans for Wisconsin's schools. Walker wants the power to get rid of local elected school boards and to appoint his cronies to run our schools.

      Sarah Manski not only can win this important race, she also is the person best prepared to take on the political and managerial challenges facing Madison's schools in the future.

      You can read more about Sarah down below, or by seeing her Facebook page here: http://www.facebook.com/sarahgracemanski

      If you would like to help Sarah with her campaign - especially by circulating petitions to get on the ballot - please send her an email at sarahmanski@...

      And if you'd like to make a donation, you can do so online at https://www.facebook.com/sarahgracemanski/app_18015191938 or by sending a check to Manski for Wisconsin, PO Box 260217, Madison, WI 53726-0217

        On Wisconsin,
        Ben Manski

      -- Why Sarah Manski is our best choice for the Madison Metropolitan School Board --

      Sarah Manski is a lifelong advocate for public education. She is an entrepreneur, Madison College instructor and labor activist. Her mother-in-law Kate taught at Madison West for many years and was a steward with the teachers union, MTI.

      Manski knows the challenges that disadvantaged youth face because seventeen years ago, as a student at Janesville Parker High School, she found herself living on her own, working nights, and a caretaker for her baby brother. Manski credits her teachers, coaches, and the Gifted and Talented program for supporting her in pursuing her high school and college educations. Sarah was a beneficiary of affirmative action, receiving a Fast Track full scholarship to UW-Madison as the first member of her family to attend a university. While at UW-Madison, Manski worked for the Early Autism Project, in afterschool tutoring, and at the Infant Learning Lab; she was also the leader of the Student Labor Action Coalition.

      Sarah Manski has built an unusual career that bridges the labor and environmental movements with the business world. She's worked for AFSCME as its International Campaign Coordinator, as well as for the National Labor Committee, Worker Independent News and EcoTalk Radio. In 2009 she founded the online green marketplace PosiPair.com, and in 2011 she organized the Wisconsin Positive Business Alliance to unite business owners against Scott Walker's attacks on the public sector. Manski has taught courses as a college instructor at Madison College, George Washington University, and UW-Madison, notably including the UW's PEOPLE program.

      Sarah Manski understands the serious nature of the current attack on public education and is committed to uniting Wisconsin schools in opposition to privatization and for a new public commitment to public education. She is a fellow with the Liberty Tree Foundation and its Democratizing Education Program. As a member of the Madison Metropolitan School Board, Manski will work with progressive business leaders to counter the pressure for private schools, vouchers, and education cuts. Instead, Manski proposes new interventions by the school district in the lives of the Madison area's most disadvantaged youth, particularly youth of color who are disproportionately disadvantaged. She also wants to strengthen the district's commitment to preparing students for careers in the new green economy.

      Sarah Manski both has a personal passion for our public schools and also is a proud Wisconsin progressive who knows that the fight for public education is central to the larger struggle for American democracy.

      Mailing Address:
      P.O. Box 260217
      Madison, WI 53726-0217
      United States
      To unsubscribe: http://votemanski.com/civicrm/mailing/optout?reset=1&jid=258&qid=892249&h=1448aeec9a7ebe87 PAID FOR BY MANSKI FOR WISCONSIN, NAN BRIEN, TREASURER

    • Kaleem Caire
      Message 2 of 4 , Jan 1, 2013
        Yes, that is correct. I have not yet been involved with any candidates and have recruited no one to run for the school board in this election. If I have not already illuminated the reasons why more people should run for school board, pay attention to what's really going on with our children, and take public education more seriously, then there is little more I can do to get those who have the desire and capacity to lead to do so.

        In the meantime, I will remain focused on ensuring that the future of our children never slides off the page of "the movements" ever again, that real change happens sooner rather than later, that the changes being proposed can actually produce real results with kids, and that all citizens, regardless of their racial or economic background, have a real say in the type of education their children receive, and the outcomes that are produced, through their public schools. This is my promise.

        When one year of falling behind academically can undermine a child's ability or desire to succeed in pursuing life's many opportunities as adults, and undermine their chances of providing a quality of life for themselves and their families, we "leaders" must practice "extraordinary impatience", act like good parents and community members, and do whatever we can to support our children, encourage them and give them as many positive experiences and reinforcements as possible. Have we lost sight of the fact that it truly does "take a village to raise a child"?

        But again, please help your wife run an honest campaign: on her record and her ideas. And please don't pretend that you know me and my family when you've never sat down to get to know us personally. The door is always open if you truly desire to learn more and cultivate an honest, trusting and respectful relationship that's not built on trying to destroy or undermine someone else's reputation.

        I have been traveling and not keeping up with all of the names of those who've entered the race, but I respect all who've decided to pursue a school board seat and pray that they can articulate a position that is precise, forward thinking, and focused on our children FIRST.

        I shall say no more.

        Happy Holidays to you and yours and a successful and prosperous New Year.

        Onward.

        Kaleem Caire
        Be Courageous, Live With Purpose

        Sent from my iPhone.

        On Jan 1, 2013, at 9:47 AM, "Ben Manski" <ben@...> wrote:

        Kaleem,

        Last year you stated that you would be recruiting candidates to run in these races. For the past several months, you've been very publicly pushing for candidates who support the agenda you were once paid to promote. And now you say that "I am not involved in any candidacies for school board." You talk about honesty.

        As for Sarah Manski, the candidate. Sarah Manski was urged to run by others in the community. I did not urge her to run in this race. I was not recruiting candidates for school board. And I am not running her campaign - she has a campaign manager. I will do what I can to help her not only because she is my wife of five years, but because she has been a comrade I have worked with in the movement for 16 years. I know what she is made of and I know what moves her to advocate.

        As for Kaleem Caire, I know a little more about you than you claim. I know something about your family. I've known you longer than you've known me. And I listened to you when you told me that, "Did you ever stop to think that maybe I am using them [the Bell Curvers at the Bradley Foundation], instead of them using me." I've stopped to think about that. I understand what you are saying. I don't agree.

         - Ben

        --

        Check out:
        Jill Stein for President - http://www.JillStein.org