"En Vivo Con Victor Arellano"

  • Victor M. Arellano
    Message 1 of 12 , Feb 1, 2012

      Folks:

      While we digress with arcane ideas of segregation which I thought had been put to rest by the Honorable Martin Luther King, Jr. and the Supreme Court of the United States, segregation is still very much alive and well. In many ways, certain members of our community of color continue to perpetuate the idea that we can do better by creating institutions on the basis of race and color. (See Brown v. Board of Education, 347 U.S. 483 (1954)).

      I am pleased to present on “En Vivo” this Saturday, February 4, 2012, on AM1480 at 8:00 a.m. Dr. John R. Logan, sociology professor at Brown University and author of several studies regarding the persistence of segregation in the United States. (See “The Persistence of Segregation in the Metropolis: New Findings from the 2010 Census”). We will be discussing through the extensive studies done by Dr. Logan the slow pace of lowering Black and White segregation which has now expanded with the injection of the Latino population into what has been known for years as “the new Hispanic ghetto.”

      Please join me in welcoming Dr. Logan to address this very significant issue as we attempt to incorporate decadent ideas in this community of developing schools on the basis of race/color after 40 years of hard work in the areas of desegregation. (See: the Civil Rights Act of 1964 and read the history of Martin Luther King, Jr. and the thousands who followed him in order to desegregate our schools. Through the same sacrifices he demanded accountability from school districts all across the nation so that all our children would be educated regardless of skin color). That struggle continues today. We cannot afford to experiment with political ideas that will take us back to the not too far past.

      Your friend and colleague,

      Victor M. Arellano, Esq.

      Arellano & Phebus, S.C.

      1468 N. High Point Road, Suite 202
      Middleton, WI 53562
      Telephone: 608.827.7680
      Facsimile: 608.827.7681
      www.aplawoffice.com

      The information contained in this transmission is intended only for the personal and confidential use of the designated recipient named above. This transmission may be an attorney-client communication, and as such is privileged and confidential. If the receiver of the transmission is not the intended recipient or an agent responsible for delivering it to the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that you have received this document in error, and that any review, dissemination, distribution, or copying of this message is strictly prohibited.

    • Victor M. Arellano
      Message 2 of 12 , Sep 21, 2012

        Folks:

        Some time ago, many of us openly opposed the creation of a new charter school. In fact, many of us went the extra mile to challenge the legality as well as the political motivations (if any) that we believed were behind the idea of separating groups through public school funding. However, once the storm subsided, the political storm subsided as well. Everything returned to business “as usual.” The low graduation records of minority students still remain the same. The lack of effective teaching has not yet been resolved with specific clarity. We do know that as a result of the political storm we lost a school superintendent. I am aware that a new superintendent will soon be selected. We are yet to understand how the school district plans to address the problems that effect students of color within our city. As a father, a professional, and as a Mexican American, I strongly believe that we cannot sit back and let the school district and its board off the hook. We need to develop strategies and plans in order to address this urgent problem (i.e. should we push for a moratorium on salaries, promotions, etc. until the school district begins to produce real results). It is my opinion that the time has come for us to get serious and fulfill the objective which was dictated by the Supreme Court of the United States in Brown v. Board of Education, 347 U.S. 483 (1954).

        Please join me tomorrow, Saturday, September 22, 2012, from 8:00 a.m.-9:00 a.m. on AM1480, to welcome a well-known Latino personality who will be providing a report with respect to the work that has been done in order to advance the interest of all students of color in the Madison area. Our friend, Dr. Salvador Carranza, will be a guest on “En Vivo con Victor Arellano.” Please tune in and contribute your comments and suggestions regarding this important issue for our children and students.