Passing of Ms. Tenia Jenkins Powell

  • Kaleem Caire
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 1, 2011

      Greetings Madison,

      Some you who knew her may have already learned of this but Ms. Tenia Jenkins Powell, a long-time educator and advocate for improving the educational outcomes of African American children and youth who did not find their place in traditional high schools, passed away Saturday morning after a long and courageous battle with cancer. She was a true champion for children in our community and her impact on education in Madison will live forever. I am especially thankful for her as she was one of my mentors, and was very supportive of my efforts during my formative years. Ms. Tenia was always at the forefront of working towards change in our public schools and was the founder of several efforts, including African American Parents at West High School. She was also one of the first African American high school teachers in Madison.

      There is a nice biography of her online, along with details of her funeral. The family is holding visitation on November 2, 2011 from 4-7pm at Covenant Presbyterian Church, 326 South Segoe Road, Madison, WI  53705. Funeral Services will be held at the same location at 7pm. Her burial will be preceded by a funeral in her hometown church, Spring Beulah Church of Christ in Ruth, MS on November 5.

      I plan to attend the visitation. Please pass this on to others who may have known her.

      RIP, Ms. Tenia.

      Onward.

      Kaleem Caire

      President & CEO

      Urban League of Greater Madison

      Main: 608-729-1200

      Assistant: 608-729-1249

      www.ulgm.org

      www.madison-prep.org

      Description: Description: Description: Description: Description: http://www.ulgm.org/SiteCollectionImages/facebook_32.pngDescription: Description: Description: Description: Description: http://www.ulgm.org/SiteCollectionImages/linkedin_32.png