Re: [MadisonLUChA] Fwd: Celebration of Literacy Award Winners

  • Brenda Konkel
    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 31, 2011
      Awesome!  Well deserved!

      On Wed, Aug 31, 2011 at 9:13 AM, Sal Carranza <scarranza@...> wrote:
      Oscar Mireles has been named recipient of the Advocacy of the Year Award  by Wisconsin Literacy.  The awards ceremony will be at the Radisson Paper Valley Hotel in Appleton on October 19th.  Congratulations Oscar!

      Sal Carranza

      Image removed by sender. Wisconsin Literacy Logo

      2011 Celebration of Literacy Award Winners and Honorable Mention Recipients

      Congratulations to the following 2011 Celebration of Literacy award winners and honorable mention recipients! We will be in contact with the individuals who nominated each winner and honorable mention recipient soon with more details about publicity and the October 19th award ceremony luncheon that will take place during the Adult Literacy Conference at the Radisson Paper Valley Hotel in Appleton. Each award winner will receive one complimentary ticket to the ceremony and tickets for two guests. Each honorable mention recipient will receive one complimentary ticket to the ceremony and a ticket for one guest.

      Outstanding Adult Literacy Learner of the Year
      Award Winner:  Jill Beverlin, Northern Waters Literacy

      Jill Beverlin is a single mom who works 40 to 50 hours per week, sometimes taking additional part-time jobs to make ends meet. Education has not come easy in her life, but her determination in continuing her education is inspiring.

      Outstanding English Language Learner of the Year

      Award Winner:  Ingrid Weitzel, Literacy Partners of Kewaunee County

      Honorable Mention Recipient:  Patricia Alanis, Milwaukee Achiever Literacy Services, Inc.

      As an immigrant from Germany and a single parent of two small children, Ingrid Weitzel has had to work very hard to make ends meet. She set a goal for herself to become a U.S. citizen and was matched with a tutor through Literacy Partners of Kewaunee County. Along her own journey, she discovered the joy of becoming a tutor herself.

      Outstanding Learner on a Career Pathway

      Award Winner:  Corinne Ratsimihah, Literacy Network of Dane County

      Corinne Ratsimihah discovered Literacy Network a month after her arrival from France, enrolling in its free group English classes. Corinne began attending Literacy Network's Health Literacy class, which inspired her to work in health care.

      Courage Award for Achievement in a
      Correctional Setting

      Award Winner:  Mose Cox,  WILC - Racine Youthful Offender Correctional Facility

      Honorable Mention Recipients:

      Andrew Blair,  WILC - Racine Youthful Offender Correctional Facility

      Lance Schneider,  WILC - Stanley Correctional Institution

      An excerpt from a statement by Mose Cox of Racine Youthful Offender Correctional Facility:

      "It was not until I came to prison that I began to see the destructive patterns in my thoughts and behavior...The time I have spent within the walls of the Department of Corrections has been the most insightful and eye opening experiences of my life...I have accomplished more than I had ever imagined."

      Outstanding Achievement in a Workplace Literacy Program

      Award Winner:  Rogaciano Lopez,  Milwaukee Achiever Literacy Services, Inc.

      Rogaciano Lopez is a supervisor at Cargill Meat Solutions where he manages employees and works 12-hour shifts. To become more independent in writing incident reports, he sought help from a JobLink instructor, Christin Carter, through Milwaukee Achiever Literacy Services.

      Outstanding Achievement in Health Literacy

      Award Winner:  Winnebago County Literacy Council

      In 2011, Winnebago County Literacy Council (WCLC) in Oshkosh developed and implemented a new health literacy curriculum for adult learners. The resulting class, Plain Language Health, taught English language learners the basics of staying healthy and navigating America's health care system.

      Tutor of the Year

      Award Winner:  Barb Anderson, Literacy Volunteers-Chippewa Valley

      Honorable Mention Recipient:  Ted Dahl, Literacy Council of Greater Waukesha, Inc.

      Barb Anderson has been a volunteer tutor with Literacy Volunteers-Chippewa Valley (LVCV) for 10 years. In addition to her work with individual students both in the jail setting and in the community, Barb has helped create and present seminars to LVCV staff and volunteers, secured funding to expand LVCV's jail program, and been an advocate for her students.

      Literacy Advocate of the Year

      Award Winner:  Oscar Mireles, Omega School, Inc.

      Honorable Mention Recipient:  Tina Blake, Jefferson County Literacy Council, Inc.

      Oscar Mireles has been active in literacy efforts in Wisconsin for more than 30 years. He has been Executive Director of Omega School in Madison for the past 17 years, assisting over 2,500 GED/HSED graduates.

      Image removed by sender.

      Image removed by sender.

      This email was sent to oscarmireles@... by georgia@... |

      Wisconsin Literacy, Inc. | 211 S. Paterson St., Suite 310 | Madison | WI | 53703

      Image removed by sender.