Highlights: The Past, Present & Future of the Urban League of Greater Madison

  • Kaleem Caire
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 31, 2011

    January 31, 2011

    Dear Friends & Colleagues,

    If last week’s Celebrate South Madison Festival is any indication of the transformation taking place on Madison’s South Side, then head to your local sports store and purchase a new pair of roller blades, because you’re going to need them to keep up with the pace of positive changes that are taking place in our neighborhood!

    The Festival, held at the ULGM’s new Center for Economic Development and Workforce Training, and organized by the South Madison Planning Council and Park Street Partners, saw an increase in participation from 80 residents last year to nearly 400 men, women and children this year. During this event, attendees talked of being inspired by the new South Madison Library located in our facility; the presence, activities and outreach of the Urban League; the new leadership, programs and renovations at the Boys & Girls Club on Taft Street and the presence and expansion of Madison College and Access Community Health, as well as other resources at the Villager Mall.

    In addition to an astounding turn out of community members, community leaders such as Mayor Dave Cieslewicz, UMOJA Publisher Milele Chikasa Anana and Madison Police Captain Joe Balles also stopped by to join the celebration.  The positive energy exerted before, during and left lingering after this great event is indicative of great things to come for our city.

    As I join you in looking to the future, I would like to highlight the Urban League’s successes of 2010.  These positive impacts on our community were made possible because of your investment in the Urban League.

    In 2010, we worked to…

    …INFORM ourselves and others about the educational and employment needs, conditions and aspirations of children and adults in our community by organizing:

    • Forums for School Board candidates and the African American Community
    • A Mayoral Budget Hearing, the most well attended of its kind in years
    • Leadership cruises on Lake Monona for Young Professionals
    • A Leadership Summit for Young Professionals
    • A Community Engagement Campaign where ULGM staff and volunteers visited more than 1700 homes in four Madison neighborhoods (Bram’s Addition, Burr Oaks, Leopold and Maple Bluff), conducting more than 220 interviews to identify community needs, ideas and aspirations

    …Prepare children and adults for educational and career success by:

    • Providing academic tutoring and/or college and career readiness programs and internships to more than 2,300 youth attending 19 middle and high schools in Madison, Middleton-Cross Plains, Oregon, Sun Prairie and Verona.
    • Serving more than 550 adults through our workforce training programs; an increase of 21% served in 2009. Sixty-one percent of those trained found and retained employment for at least 90 days.
    • Graduating our second class of members in our partnership Healthcare Administrative Technology Program.
    • Planning the launch of Madison Preparatory Academy for Young Men with additional plans to add a campus for Young Women.

    In 2011, we will aim to Inspire the Greater Madison community to join us in implementing and expanding solutions that will ensure our region becomes the Best [place] in the Midwest for EVERYONE to live, learn and work by 2020.

    To achieve our goals, we’ve already started:

    • Adding depth of leadership and experience to our Board of Directors and management team, and investing in the development of the talent across our agency
    • Forming a joint fundraising team with the YMCA of Dane County and the Boys & Girls Club of Dane County to leverage additional local, state and federal funding to support our programs and that of other agencies in our service area
    • Drafting the Charter Plan for Madison Preparatory Academy and recruiting supporters
    • Establishing Investment Funds, through which we will manage and communicate the results of individual, business/corporate and foundation contributions to our programs and initiatives.

    For your review, we have attached to this communication a copy of our FY2011-12 Strategic Plan. Please let us know if you have questions or if you would like to become a part of any particular effort.

    To the future of Greater Madison and its people …

    Onward!

    Kaleem Caire

    President & CEO

    Urban League of Greater Madison

    Main: 608-729-1200

    Assistant: 608-729-1249

    www.ulgm.org

    Description: Description: Description: Description: Description: Description: Description: Description: Description: Description: Description: Description: http://www.ulgm.org/SiteCollectionImages/facebook_32.pngDescription: Description: Description: Description: Description: Description: Description: Description: Description: Description: Description: Description: http://www.ulgm.org/SiteCollectionImages/linkedin_32.png

    Whatever it Takes!