Fwd: A message from Amnesty International

  • Salvador Carranza
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 11 1:31 PM

      Here is a message from Amnesty International that appeared in Hispanic Business Magazine.  As we have said all along, SB1070 in particular, and anti-immigrant attacks in general are clear violations of basic Human Rights. We need to continue to take action so that enforcement only laws stop being introduced and a frank and honest discussion on Comprehensive Immigration Reform can start to take place.

      Sal Carranza
      Unable to see? Please go to http://www.hispanicbusiness.com/email/sendoutview.asp?sendoutid=2417
      Amnesty International USA: TAKE ACTION NOW!

      Dear Friend,

      Arizona's stringent new anti-immigrant law, SB1070, has whipped up a firestorm of controversy - with good reason. The law has the effect of legalizing racial profiling.

      The draconian new law requires anyone who the police "reasonably suspect" of being an "illegal immigrant" to produce papers proving they are here legally. If for any reason you don't show documentation, you'll be criminally prosecuted for trespassing, jailed and deported.

      SB1070 usurps federal jurisdiction on immigration policy and sets a dangerous precedent other states are already looking to follow.

      Say NO to Arizona SB1070.

      Urge Congress to craft a fair and humane immigration policy that respects human rights.

      Say No to Arizona SB1070

      The Arizona law is an assault on the very notion of human rights. It turns the state's Latinos and anyone else who fits a police officer's idea of what an "illegal immigrant" looks like into criminal suspects.

      Amnesty has outlined core reform principles at this critical juncture in the immigration debate. Stand with us in championing the following:

      • Provide a formal process by which undocumented people can obtain legal status.
      • Reform immigration policies that unnecessarily separate families.
      • Protect the rights of immigrants most at risk
      including undocumented immigrants, immigrant women and immigrant children.

      Anti-immigrant forces are emboldened; they want other states to enact similar legislation, and they're thirsty for an even bigger victory - sweeping, get-tough federal enforcement legislation.

      We must act swiftly to balance the scales of justice.

      Speak out against Arizona SB1070.

      Thank you for urging Congress to fix our nation's broken immigration system.

      In solidarity,

      Lory and Sarah, and the rest of the Refugee and Migrant Rights team at Amnesty International USA

      P.S. While a federal judge recently prevented portions of the Arizona law from going into effect immediately, this action is only temporary. SB1070 is simply "on hold" and could become law in the very near future.

      Take Action

      © Copyright 2010 | Amnesty International USA | 5 Penn Plaza | New York, NY 10001 | 212.807.8400 | CONTACT US

      Please forward this e-mail to a friend, colleague, and/or relative.

      You are subscribed as scarranza@.... Manage your e-mail account and/or take your name off the list.

      HispanicBusiness® Media | 425 Pine Avenue | Santa Barbara, CA 93117
      (805) 964-4554 | News@... | www.HispanicBusiness.com

      © 2010 HispanicBusiness®, Inc. All Rights Reserved.