Fwd: "HUMANE SOLUTIONS TO OUR BROKEN IMMIGRATION SYSTEM" 12:45 p.m. Sunday, Feb. 7

  • lpine tds.net
    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 3, 2010

      Below is an announcement of part 3 of a three-week Immigration and Border Justice film and discussion series I've organized on behalf of No Mas Muertes/No More Deaths in Tucson.  One of my Madison friends suggested that I post this on the Madison listserves just so people know what we're doing in Tucson when we're not out in the desert saving human lives or working in Mexico on the documentation of human rights abuses by Border Patrol.  Tucson is the epicenter of the immigrant and human rights movement, being just 60 miles from the Mexican border.  It was also the birth place of the Sanctuary movement of the 1980's.  When we get back to Madison on May 1, I can show the video and CD slideshow from this event, and photos of the Jan. 16 march against Arpaio.  They are showing a film about the raid in Postville here in Tucson on Feb. 15, called "AbUSed: The Postville Raid."  Has anyone seen it yet?  Leila

      “HUMANE SOLUTIONS TO OUR BROKEN IMMIGRATION SYSTEM”

      What humane solutions are there to our broken immigration system?  Immigration
      in the U.S. has become the biggest moral issue of our time, much like the Civil Rights
      Movement was in the 1950's and 60's.

      "WHAT'S IN THE NEW COMPREHENSIVE IMMIGRATION REFORM BILL?"

      By Atty. Margo Cowan of No More Deaths

      H.R. 4321 was recently introduced in Congress by Rep. Luis Gutierrez (D-IL)

      Time:  12:45 p.m. Sunday, Feb. 7, followed by...

      "CRUELTY IN THE DESERT:  Abuse of Arizona Border Crossers"

      A Power Point Slide Show (30 min.) by Craig McComb, a member

      of UUCT and No More Deaths

      Time:  1:45 p.m. Sunday, Feb. 7

      Moderator:  Leila Pine, chair of the UUCT Immigrant Rights

      Working Group and a member of No More Deaths

      Both presentations are in the sanctuary of the Unitarian Universalist
      Church of Tucson (UCCT), 4831 E. 22nd St., Tucson, just east of Swan Rd.
      Free and open to the public.  Sponsored by the UUCT

      Immigrant Rights Working Group.

    • salcandresen@yahoo.com
      Message 2 of 2 , Feb 3, 2010
        Leila:
        As you might already know, we have fomed the Madison Immigration Coaloition MIRC with the various organizations advocating for immigrant rights. This presentation would be perfect as part of our outreach and education efforts. Perhaps once you are back in Madison you could come to one of our meetings and talk about it. There is a good chance that we could sponsor one of your presentations. Just let me know waht you think.

        Sal

        Sent via BlackBerry by AT&T