School Board member Johnny Winston, Jr. not seeking a third term on Madison BOE

  • Johnny Winston, Jr.
    Message 1 of 2 , Nov 12, 2009

      Dear Friends:

      This message is to inform you that I will not be seeking re-election for a third term on the Madison School Board, Seat #4.

      For six years, it has been my honor to serve our community as an elected member of the Madison Board of Education.  Thank you for your confidence in electing me in 2004 and 2007.

      During my tenure on the board, I had the pleasure of serving as the President, Vice President, Treasurer and Clerk.  I also served on many committees including Long Range Planning, Partnerships, Finance and Operations and currently Student Achievement and Performance Monitoring.   Serving in these roles and on these committees gave me a well rounded outlook on the district and helped shape a collective vision that assisted me in my decision making.

      In addition to serving within the capacities of the school board, I was able to reach out to our community and listen to their views.  With your help, we were able to build a new school to alleviate overcrowding, develop strong partnerships and complete many district maintenance projects.  Lastly, being elected to the school board afforded me the opportunity to listen to parents, students and community members and assist them in identifying an appropriate district staff member or service that would help meet their needs.

      Despite less than desirable financial constraints, I believe the MMSD’s future is brighter because of the development of a 4 year old kindergarten program, implementation of the district’s new strategic plan and school board members that work in collaboration with each other, the superintendent, the district staff, and its stakeholders.  I thank all of my school board colleagues both current and former, for their knowledge, skills and their service.

      Although, I leave the Madison School Board, I will continue to be actively involved in our community as a member of organizations such as the 100 Black Men of Madison’s Backpacks for Success event, Sable Flames, Inc. Scholarship Committee and other community groups that help make Madison a better place to live for everyone.  I am also the proud parent of a current kindergartener so I will continue to be a proud supporter of the Madison Metropolitan School District and public education for many years to come.

      Again, thank you for giving me the honor of serving our community.

      Johnny Winston, Jr.

    • Salvador Carranza
      Message 2 of 2 , Nov 13, 2009
        Dear Johnny:

        Your leadership and commitment to our children will be sorely missed.  The Madison School Board will have a huge void when you leave.  Our community will have a really hard task finding someone as energetic and committed to the success of our students, in particular our students of color, as you have been.  You have been a friend and a champion for our Latino community and our Latino children on the School Board and there are no adequate words to express how grateful I am for you leadership.  On behalf of LUChA and the Latino Education Council, I thank you and  wish you the best in your future endeavors.

        Gracias amigo,

        Sal Carranza
        LUChA and Latino Education Council